Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect rifle

blacklab

The more I shoot 3 gun the more I become addicted. The more I become addicted the more I want better stuff. The more I want better stuff the more money I seem to waist. So instead of buying a thousand different parts and trying to pick out the good ones I thought I would ask you people. I know there is no one perfect answer to my questions but I would like to get everyone's opinion on what parts I should buy to build the perfect 3 gun rifle. My current set up is:

billet upper and lower made by a local machine shop (Frederic Firearms)

16" 1 in 7 twist Hbar barrel with a mid length gas tube

15" Diamondhead hand guard

Ace skeleton stock

low pro steel gas block

mil-spec bolt

mil-spec spring/buffer

M4-72 comp.

CMC 3.5lbs single stage trigger

Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 with Vortex mount

The rifle comes in at 8lbs 7ozs. It shoots pretty flat but I know it could be better, so here are my questions. If you could build the perfect rifle that would be used on ranges out to 200yds with the occasional 300yds target you would use:

1. Stock......Rifle or carbine and what make?

2. Buffer and spring.....What weight and make?

3. Bolt.......Lightened or mil-spec and what make?

4.Gas block...... Standard or adjustable and what make?

5. Gas tube......What length?

6. Barrel...... Length, twist and profile?

7. Comp.....What make?

8. Trigger.......What make?

9 Hand guard......Length?

Just for the sake of argument lets assume the rifle will be used by someone that is of average build and in average shape, because that's what I am. I'm not too worried about getting a different optic yet, for now the Strike Eagle is fine and I do like it. The only reason I would want to change the optic is if I need to worry about weight, I know the Vortex is heavy.

Add a low-mass bolt carrier (JP is the Gold Standard), low-mass buffer, adjustable gas block. Tune the gas system for minimal recoil. That's it. Spend the money you save on practice ammo and match fees. If you are itching to spend more money, get spare parts and maybe a higher-end optic (keep the Strike Eagle as a backup).

Or buy a complete JP rifle.

Run what you got until you wear out the barrel provided it shoots well enough.  I'm looking for 200 yd 3" 10 round groups; from new match barrels. 

Consider where you finish in your matches, if your in the middle of the pack or towards the lower end, practice and a solid zero will help more then a "better gun".  

If your our better than average, or above center mass at matches then you will benefit more from a bit better gear but gear still only helps so much.  

If if you really must upgrade your rifle an adjustable gas system and lighter bcg and buffer will help a little to reduce recoil.  

Are re all your guns reliable?  If any of your firearms are not reliable, like about 1/2 of everyone's shotguns out there, making your guns run reliably will save more time than shaving a little off your rifle. 

• 3 weeks later...

The rifle you describe would only be marginally better than what you have now. You've sadly hit the point of diminishing returns.

For longer range accuracy match the ammo to your barrel by testing different combinations... My 1:7 shoots 62 grain sub moa, but 55s look like a shotgun at 100 yards.. My 1:8 twist barrel is the opposite...

If you are a tinkerer messing with the gas system, bolt carrier weight, and buffer would be the next thing to do. Note that this may make things much worse before they get a little better. If your barrel is a shooter right now, I personally wouldn't change it out.

Little things like having a 40 and 20 round magazine in your bag are nice too.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, DesertTortoise said:

If you are a tinkerer messing with the gas system, bolt carrier weight, and buffer would be the next thing to do. Note that this may make things much worse before they get a little better. If your barrel is a shooter right now, I personally wouldn't change it out.

Uh Oh. I just changed the gas block to an adjustable and the bolt/buffer with a low mass this week. So far when practicing I haven't had any problems yet. Saturday will be the test, it will be my first match with the new set up. I have to admit I was surprised how much flatter it shoots with the low mass parts. I also got a good deal on a Burris XRT II 1-5 so I changed my Vortex Strike Eagle to the Burris. I'm not sure that was the best place to spend money though. At regular price the Burris is almost 3x's the cost Vortex but I don't think the Burris is 3x's better then the Vortex. IMO the glass Is marginally better at best on the Burris. But on the bright side I have a back up scope now.^_^

23 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

If you installed the gas block correctly and then tune it by turning the gas up till the bolt locks back on an empty mag every time, you'll be good to go (with that ammo)

Yep. That's what I did, then I gave it a 1/4 turn extra. That's what I read to do to compensate for weather conditions etc.