Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open division gun sights

theglockman34

I couldn't do that even if I wanted to.  The way my eyes are now it's no dot, no shoot.  I'll be experimenting shortly with a dot only in Open Minor just to see if it has any advantage over the Open Major I now shoot.  After that I'll put in some poppels to see if that helps.  I actually preferred Limited.  If I owned any pistol legal for Production, I'd shoot CO.  I'd rank the advantages as dot first, then comp/ports and then the big stick.

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I've done it in a classifier match. Shot my Lim gun in Open just do it because I wanted a classification in Open, lol.

Yeah but you are a "special needs" case.  

Short bus riders need not apply.......

:)

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

The dot is the biggest advantage in Open, next comes the big stick, then the comp.

I would run a dot and no comp before I ran a comp with no dot.

I'd rate the big stick before the dot but that's just me. 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I've done it in a classifier match. Shot my Lim gun in Open just do it because I wanted a classification in Open, lol.

I've done the same thing to help get enough for an initial classification. 

I'd rate the big stick before the dot but that's just me. 

No way. I would shoot with 10 round mags before I gave up the dot. The only 2 things the big stick allows is opening up some stage planning ideas (in certain situations) and leaving you with a bunch of makeups on steel, allowing you to shoot much more aggressively (in your mind, because it's still faster to go 1 for 1 rather than spray 12 bullets at 6 targets. It just can give you additional confidence to go faster.)

The dot on the other hand, is faster and more precise than irons in every situation. Moving targets? Partials? Ease of shot calling? All go to the dot.

7 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

No way. I would shoot with 10 round mags before I gave up the dot. The only 2 things the big stick allows is opening up some stage planning ideas (in certain situations) and leaving you with a bunch of makeups on steel, allowing you to shoot much more aggressively (in your mind, because it's still faster to go 1 for 1 rather than spray 12 bullets at 6 targets. It just can give you additional confidence to go faster.)

The dot on the other hand, is faster and more precise than irons in every situation. Moving targets? Partials? Ease of shot calling? All go to the dot.

No way.

I would put my money on a GM with a big stick and irons in a 10 stage match over the same GM with 10 rounds mags and a dot.  That is a no brainer.

A big stick allows you to reload wherever you want or not at all on some stages.  This time savings is worth far more than any time gained from shooting a dot.

Edited by d_striker

I would put my money on a GM with a big stick and irons in a 10 stage match over the same GM with 10 rounds mags and a dot.  That is a no brainer.

I volunteer as tribute. Find me a match they will let me shoot twice afterwards and an iron sighted open gun, I will test it.

1 hour ago, d_striker said:

No way.

A big stick allows you to reload wherever you want or not at all on some stages.  This time savings is worth far more than any time gained from shooting a dot.

Just curious.  Are you a GM?

I was actually thinking about this further. I could potentially run this test, and I think I know how logistically it would work. I shoot a local match with my open gun. After match I reshoot match with 9mm limited gun with minor ammo (but score it major) and big sticks. Reshoot match AGAIN with open gun and 10 round magazines.

Now where is my ammo sponsor....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I was actually thinking about this further. I could potentially run this test, and I think I know how logistically it would work. I shoot a local match with my open gun. After match I reshoot match with 9mm limited gun with minor ammo (but score it major) and big sticks. Reshoot match AGAIN with open gun and 10 round magazines.

That sounds like a good experiment.

I think it's largely dependent on stage design.  If it's an entire match of run here shoot 8, run there shoot 8, etc., then I think it'd prob be a wash.  A GM isn't going to lose much, if any, time reloading if they have a good amount of space between arrays.

If there are stages where you can shoot out of one position and into another with not a lot of room for reloads, big stick/irons takes it.  

54 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I like your thinking, but while I image GMs can shoot at top form I fear us mere mortals would improve on our second and third time's through, making a bigger difference that the equipment.

I like your thinking, but while I image GMs can shoot at top form I fear us mere mortals would improve on our second and third time's through, making a bigger difference that the equipment.

I mean, everyone is going to be affected by getting additional runs at a stage. But if you were able to shoot the match the whole way through with one gun, take a short break and the shoot it all the way through again, take a short break and shoot it a third time, I don't think it would be that huge of an advantage.

And I think as far as getting a balanced test goes, that would be the best way to control your variables