Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just looking for some final advice

ccrbum

Hey guys I've been lurking for a while and figured I should join up an participate! I'm new to shotguns (that seems to be how a lot of these start right?) and I'm trying to make a final final decision on a semi-auto shotgun. I REALLY like the beretta 1301 comp 24" and I can get one through a discount program at one of my part-time jobs for around $800. I know there will be upgrades and mods needed after the purchase so I'm figuring a couple hundred extra after that to get stuff where I want it for now to be able to start playing. I understand a lot of this is subjective but as far as quality and potential of the firearm am I good to go with the beretta at that price or would I be better off looking at something like the Franchi Affinity? I know the M2 is kinda the go-to rifle for a lot of guys and I agree it's an amazing rifle but I've got around $800 to $900  to pick something up and then the rest will have to happen as funds open up. Just seeing what other people have experienced and if any of you have regrets on the 1301 vs an Affinity or M2.... Rum has the best of me tonight so hopefully I'm making since! :D

If you can afford the 1301 get it. The only thing it needs out of the box is the extended tube and some additional opening up on the load port. I run the Remington Versamax but if I didn't use that I'd be shooting the Beretta.

At a certain point it is not the shotgun, it's the shotgunner. Roberto Vazzoli has won multiple international shotgun championships with the Beretta 1301. Look up his loading port mod elsewhere on this site, probably in the 1301 megathread, or other 1301 threads. Or go to YouTube and watch some of his lessons. I have used a 1301 for almost a year with a +5 Nordic and the stock follower without problem. Not much competition though. The aftermarket follower is another form of insurance against Murphy's Law. Mr. Murphy has the knack of showing up at the worst of times.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, ccrbum said:

cool. I've been looking at the nordic +5 or +6. will I need to replace the follower in it or are the factory ones good to go?

Factory follower is fine, been shooting a 1301 for close to 5 years, It takes a beating and comes back for more, has never let me down.

Just add a tube and spring, XS sights if you shoot a lot of slugs, and when you are ready open the loading port.