Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Planning and execution, tips needed

sstephns

This is something I struggle with, usually when I'm the first shooter. Anyone got any good tips for planning your run, and then executing, especially as a shooter early in the line up? 

Usually after 5-6 shooters I have it figured out, and can execute well, but I find I make way more mistakes when I'm up first.

Watch the walk through s and if its a local Level I talk to your squad mates. Everyone is good about helping the news guys. Level II or higher the shooters are getting their head in the stage not a good time to chat. 

simplify your stage plan. if you're making a step by step by step list in your head of everything you want to do, yeah you probably won't get that dialed in 3 minutes.

to me, if your stage plan is more than 5 mental markers of things, you're doing too much.

you only have soo much attention, or selective focus. spend it wisely.

secondly, practice your visualization skills away from the range. visualize stages you already shot. visualize how the gun looks in front of your face, the sights on moving targets perfectly timed. visualize silly stuff like everything in your drive to work and hit each of those marks perfectly, like you could do it with your eyes closed you nailed it so perfectly. play with it, incorporate it into stuff to get lots and lots of practice.

also popular as mentioned, is start going first, every stage for like the next 4 local matches you go to. that'll help.

Edited by rowdyb

With a name like "Archer", I am often the first guy up (randomly picked? Sure.).

Like Rowdyb mentioned, keep it simple as possible.
Don't worry if you MIGHT be able to shave a 1/10 here or there doing something weird.

For me (and I'm no expert, just seem to get to go first a lot, and I have or had some of the same issues), the first thing I do (shooting Production) is find ALL of the targets, and figure out where I am going to reload.
I try no to get too fancy... if I'm moving to another position I'm probably reloading.
When the option comes up of shooting from a longer range position that will save time vs. more movement to get easier shots, I go for the later... playing to my strengths. If you are super awesome at 20 yard head only shots, you will want a different plan than mine... same if you are not at least mildly fleet of foot.

I'll see guys counting rounds from one array to the next trying to maybe eliminate a reload. That's fine for them, I'm not that good yet... and that usually allows a makeup shot or 2 if need be.

I also try to minimize positions. If it means longer runs between positions, great. The fewer places to remember the better.

I might give up a little on the "perfect" plan.
But I think it's better to know and execute a poor plan, than lose your place in a "better" more technical plan.

Sometimes the OCD in me makes it worse if I start too far back.
It gives me time to question if I could do something smarter (when I should be pounding my plan into memory) or I might see someone do something smart, then I want to alter my plan to do that.... almost always, I would have been better off just mentally drilling my plan.

Keep it simple as possible, drill it into your brain as much as you can, for as long as you can. If you are #3 or #4, probably don't watch the guys ahead of you. Don't change your plan (unless you saw some glaring error).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

33 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Shooting plans are more difficult for people with 6-11 shots in their gun ...

One way to make it simpler, is to switch to a 20+ shot gun (Open or Ltd).

You don't have to worry about "where do I make the 2-5 reloads" .... :) 

Yep. When I started I was shooting SS. Switched to limited real quick.

Thanks for the advice y'all

If I did not show up early at matches and figure out plans ahead of time I would be totally hosed. 

I do not think much about how other shooters run a stage until after I am done shooting, there are rare exceptions when somebody reveals an ah-ha.  

(Quote feature mucking up. Replying to it below)

Ben Stoeger stopped all of us Production guys on Day 1 of his advanced class. 

"What are you doing? Planning loads first? Stop that. Reloads go last - they take care of themselves."

Sounded crazy since everyone has done the opposite in front of me for my entire USPSA journey. But try it. You don't get points for reloads - you get points for efficient target engagement. Figure out what order you want to shoot the targets in, then it's easy to insert your loads where they're needed.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Get to the match early and walk all the stages, even if its just to get a rough idea of what plan you want. Then when you get there you have an idea of what it looks like and you can get a plan in place faster.

This past weekend I was up first on the first stage. I was running late and less than completely prepared for the stage. When this happens I just try to simplify the stage. Minimum shooting positions for me means less to think about. Get there, service targets, get to next position. Also I try to tone it down by 10% or so. Just a little smoother and more relaxed. You can't win a match on any one stage, but you can lose it. 

Also try to develop a selective memory. Dwell on good stages instead of the mistakes made in the past. Sounds like common sense but evil thoughts can sneak into our heads. Positive thinking works half the time, negative thinking is 100% effective. 

Ditto to on the volunteering to go first. Just a few times and the issue will take care of itself. Wish you all the best with it. 

I used to plan stages thoroughly.  I'd get there early, help set up, and then look at them with an eye to how I would approach them.  During the match I would do a step by step plan for each stage during the walk through, then practice those steps when I wasn't taping.  The better the planning, the better I did on the stage.

Now I agree with Sarge.  I RO matches and don't have the opportunity to plan stages as I used to.  It is easier to keep it simple.  Now I just plan my stop points.  Shoot here, move to there, stop at this point, engage, and so on.  As long as you stop where you planned, everything else takes care of itself.  I'll not that I shoot Open, so mag changes as not a big issue.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

(Quote feature mucking up. Replying to it below)

Ben Stoeger stopped all of us Production guys on Day 1 of his advanced class. 

"What are you doing? Planning loads first? Stop that. Reloads go last - they take care of themselves."

Sounded crazy since everyone has done the opposite in front of me for my entire USPSA journey. But try it. You don't get points for reloads - you get points for efficient target engagement. Figure out what order you want to shoot the targets in, then it's easy to insert your loads where they're needed.

Good stuff. I typically try to figure out these things at the same time. I'll definitely try this

22 minutes ago, sstephns said:

Good stuff. I typically try to figure out these things at the same time. I'll definitely try this

Figured. Novices do that, and it actually takes them longer to plan.

1. Locate all the targets. No no - ALL the targets. Walk around behind the stage looking for sneaky hidden ones, and locate all the targets which are either available from multiple places or which require shooing from exactly one spot.

2. Figure out a clean simple path through the stage where you shoot them all from as close as you can get to them. You're new. Go with simple plans over complicated ones (that require things like long shots on the move). If you're up first? Pick a plan you can memorize quickly and execute perfectly 10 times in 10.

3. Figure out the order to shoot the targets in each position. While going through the stage for this step, begin to think about your footwork.

4. A quick look at how many shots are required in each location will tell you where your reloads need to go. It's also a good idea to know how many spare rounds you'll have available for makeup shots throughout the course.

So you plan by going through the stage in layers.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Figured. Novices do that, and it actually takes them longer to plan.

1. Locate all the targets. No no - ALL the targets. Walk around behind the stage looking for sneaky hidden ones, and locate all the targets which are either available from multiple places or which require shooing from exactly one spot. 

2. Figure out a clean simple path through the stage where you shoot them all from as close as you can get to them. You're new. Go with simple plans over complicated ones (that require things like long shots on the move). If you're up first? Pick a plan you can memorize quickly and execute perfectly 10 times in 10.

3. Figure out the order to shoot the targets in each position. While going through the stage for this step, begin to think about your footwork.

4. A quick look at how many shots are required in each location will tell you where your reloads need to go. It's also a good idea to know how many spare rounds you'll have available for makeup shots throughout the course.

So you plan by going through the stage in layers.

Some of these things I do already. The others I'll add to the routine. Many thanks