Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low power 223 load

Eric1231

My accuracy load is 22.8 gr IMR 8208xbr under 77 gr Nosler CC JHP bullets.

For hoser targets I use the same powder charge under 50 gr Nosler SP bullets.  I don't remember the chrono data but it shoots 1" high at 100 yards compared to my accuracy load.  Nice and soft but still functions the gun 100%.   I run a stock bcg, standard carbine buffer and spring.

Velocity on both loads is low enough that I can shoot my 3/8" AR500 steel at 50 yards with no damage.

Bill

21.5 gr of 8208 xbr with 55 gr fmj's. It's like mouse farts. Probably could go lower, but I didn't have time for load testing, just went with the lowest book load. I've heard that the way to make really really light loads is to test in 0.3 gr increments, finding what load doesn't fully cycle the action. Then try +0.1 gr until it cycles.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i have gone full circle in this kind of idea.  The challenge is always making sure your gun works with both loads.  I opted to tune the gas system on my rifle for 77's and then simply go to a 50-55g Bullet for close stuff that way I things simple on the press, I only change stating depth a little on my650.  

The 35 and 40 grain bullets have no recoil.  Get the gas and reciprocating mass tuned with the light bullets if you don't shoot long distance.  It is easier to just shoot some factory 55's and be done with it.  PMC Bronze is a light load if it shoots good in your rifle.  I get better than MOA with it in my rifles.  My barrels are WOA and Satern.

Beware trying the 35-40s with a 1x7" twist. My last barrel would spin the jackets off of lightly constructed bullets occasionally. No harm or anything but it doesn't help your score. I vote for 55gr, cheap and simple.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 3:35 PM, Eric1231 said:

Anybody ever play around with a lower velocity load for 3 gun fast shooting stages. What is lowest velocity you can shoot and still reliably cycle an ar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't simply be a velocity. It will roughly be a function of the bullet velocity and bullet mass. Also involving the gas port size, buffer spring, buffer weight, powder burn rate, gas port location (carbine length, mid, rifle etc. But I would say use a light bullet like 55 gr with something that burns slower than H335 ish. Ex: I found a bunch of H322 that I was using for my hosing ammo when powder was scarce. Bi product was the velocity/ pressure was lower with the same round. However my compensator had less gas to work with after I had tuned my load / comp/ gas block etc so they all worked in harmony. 

I would suggest loading like 3-5 rounds of each. Putting one round in 5 mags and shoot till it locks the bolt back if you don't have the ability to tune the gas system. You likely will not get best accuracy and clean burning from what I have tested. But give it a shot and see how it works for you.