Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot on front post......

MikieM

I'm getting a new Limited gun with the fiber optic (red) front sight. The gun I had before had a black post. I noticed in the last USPSA magazine that eighty some percent of the shooters at the Limited Nationals used the fiber optic front.

Is there anything to know, or any helpful hints, when transitioning from the post to the optic. And, does one contribute any more toward good accuracy than the other?

Thanks, Mike.

Other than looking out for vertical misalignment, it shouldn't pose a problem.
What some end up doing is lining up the top of the dot with the top of the rear sight in battle, when they lined up the top of the post (not the fiber) when sighting in.
Depending on how much post is above your fiber, this could cause a miss at long range head shots.
For the most part though, it won't matter that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

I'm getting a new Limited gun with the fiber optic (red) front sight. The gun I had before had a black post. I noticed in the last USPSA magazine that eighty some percent of the shooters at the Limited Nationals used the fiber optic front.

Is there anything to know, or any helpful hints, when transitioning from the post to the optic. And, does one contribute any more toward good accuracy than the other?

Thanks, Mike.

Mikie,

In my opinion, your transition will not be difficult.  Keep in mind that the most accurate shooting will still likely occur from using the square outline of the front post and not the tube itself.  By my account, the purpose of the tube is to help you find the front sight and not necessarily help you aim. Even so, I do sometimes find myself using the tube to aim for quick speed shoots at close distance. If speed was not a factor in USPSA, many people would probably avoid the use of fiber optic tubes. 

Your question about which setup will be the most accurate is difficult to limit to the comparison of fiber vs. no fiber.  From the way I see it, the trade-off of accuracy and speed comes more from the width relationship between the front sight and the rear notch rather than whether or not you have a fiber optic tube.  More space between the sides of the front sight and rear notch typically produces a faster setup while less space typically produces a more accurate setup.

In regards to best practices, I would consider limiting the amount of bulb produced when you melt the sighting side of the tube.  If you are using a Dawson front sight, I would recess the bulb under the surface layer of the front sight.  If you are using a Brazzos, then you don't need to worry about it because the tube is actually behind the sight.  Also, avoid any movement in the tube; this usually leads to breakage.

Most use just the fiber as aiming for close hoser shots.  If the fiber is in the A zone at 7-10 yards you really have to do something silly with the trigger to not get decent hits.  Like said above the intention of the fiber is to help pickup the sights quickly, most are still designed to use the traditional approach of the top of the post as the aiming point.  There are some front sights, like the brazos manny dot, that are designed to use the fiber as the aiming point.