Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences between STI and SVI polymer grips?

tha1000

Does anyone know the differences?

I have an older (2004-05) SV that I recently started getting occasional light strikes with.  After trouble shooting, it appears that the main spring has wallered out the aluminum MSH and created a ledge, for lack of a better word, that was occasionally interfering with the mainspring and slowing it down to the point of a light strike.  I replaced with a 1911 MSH that I had laying around the house and it cured the problem.

The 1911 MSH obviously isn't profiled for a 2011 grip/magwell.  Instead of doing some hours of filing, I just ordered a new polymer factory STI main spring housing thinking it would be a drop in part.  It drops in, probably too well.  There is a noticeable gap at the bottom of the grip.  Are the main spring housings between these two grips the same size?  as it appears that the STI I ordered is a fraction too small for the SV grip on the gun.  Or is my grip stretched out at the bottom, which is possible as I am not running a magwell on this gun?  and is a gap between the grip and MSH an issue from an eventual reliability stand point?  It is pinned in and  seems to currently function properly.

I didn't think to take any pics.

The SV polymer grips are STI grips, sti got the mold in the break up. SV was allotted x amount of polymer grips from sti per the terms of the break up. The sti emblem was milled out and sv put a sticker over the milled spot, sti added the lower grip screws.

Rich

the old polymer SV grips ARE sti grips just with the STI logo removed and SV emblems stuck on (look in the back and you'll see 'strayer Tripp international' written over and over down where the MSH goes (under the sear spring).

it could just be a gap because basically all the 2011s are designed to run some kind of mag well. 

I thought they were the same as well and considered the lack of a magwell being a contributing factor.  That being said, I swapped back to the aluminum msh I am having issues with and it is noticeably larger than the NIW STI polymer main spring housing.  The old one fits with no gap and much tighter to the grip safety than the new one.   If I kNew the make of the old one, I'd just order it again.  No idea who the maker is though. Probably SV. 

The new production STI MSH is definitely too small for this grip.  I dont know if dims have changed over the years or if the original MSH was oversized and has stretched out the polymer grip....