Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking the plunge...

JeremiahD

Well... so far this whole USPSA gig has ended up being a "fortune favors the brave" sort of proposition.  I got into it by chance reading my local clubs calendar of events back in December and thought "hey why not?". so I went to the Monday shoots and really enjoyed it.  I'm not a social dude but I made the effort to try to talk to folks and learn and its really paid off (thank you helpful people).  I have no experience shooting a field course but heard there was a qualifier this month. A couple people encouraged me to go, even if just for the experience so.. off I went on Sunday and ended up learning quite a bit (mostly about my own limitations but hey its progress).  I felt it was a pretty solid D performance (nothing wrong with that) and ended up classifying a C (hey... cool!).

So.. the following day someone mentioned the Ohio state championships were coming up in May and it would be a good experience.  After what I felt was a somewhat lackluster performance Sunday and the general intimidation factor of going to something with the word "championship" in the title while I'm still as green as a stick, I didn't think much of it.  Today, after getting my fresh new classification, checking out the site for the event, and running the math some on Sundays scores I had that "hey why not?" moment again... and signed up.

Ok, so its the deep end of the pool again.

You will love our Ohio match! In general terms level II matches are just huge local matches. Ohio will have some longer shots on a few stages and you will be moving a lot more but other than that...

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

level II matches are just huge local matches. 

Some local matches are RO'd with some "forgivenss" in the rules of DQ - some are NOT.

If your local match RO is the "foregiving" type, do NOT expect ANY forgiveness at a

Level II match.

You will also find very few D shooters - LOTS of GM's, M's and A's.   I felt a little

overwhelmed as a B shooter.

BUT, it's Great Experience, and after a Level II Shoot, you will NEVER be nervous

at a local match again.

My only Nat'l match, a M shooter in my squad was DQ'd on the first stage - HOLY

SH.T -  My wife and I travelled 2500 miles and spent over a $1,000 to get here -

I can't get DQ'd - so I backed off the speed 10 - 15% and had a ball - shot pretty

well, too.

Just enjoy yourself, and don't go too fast (dangerous) ...   :) 

Enjoy the larger match. Level 2 matches are fun and a blast to shoot. You may see some different setups and starting positions which are all fun. I remember last year doing the Florida State Championship as a D shooter. I was able to squad with a bunch of shooters from our local club and it was a blast and felt just like a local match. I actually placed 3rd Limited D. I did feel a bit intimidated last year at Limited Nationals, but that was because the Super Squad was right behind us and would be finished and waiting most of the stages while we had 1 or 2 shooters left. What was cool about that was I got a couple tips from a few of them after one of my runs.

Enjoy the match and have a blast. :)

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

You will love our Ohio match! In general terms level II matches are just huge local matches. Ohio will have some longer shots on a few stages and you will be moving a lot more but other than that...

I'm looking forward to it!  I've reviewed the stage briefs on the website, looks like a good time.  I'll have to brush up on those long shots.   All in all I figure I'll treat it like my first match: take it easy, be safe, and have an open mind.

Thanks in advance for your work putting it on!

Edited by JeremiahD
spelling

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Some local matches are RO'd with some "forgivenss" in the rules of DQ - some are NOT.

If your local match RO is the "foregiving" type, do NOT expect ANY forgiveness at a

Level II match.

You will also find very few D shooters - LOTS of GM's, M's and A's.   I felt a little

overwhelmed as a B shooter.

BUT, it's Great Experience, and after a Level II Shoot, you will NEVER be nervous

at a local match again.

My only Nat'l match, a M shooter in my squad was DQ'd on the first stage - HOLY

SH.T -  My wife and I travelled 2500 miles and spent over a $1,000 to get here -

I can't get DQ'd - so I backed off the speed 10 - 15% and had a ball - shot pretty

well, too.

Just enjoy yourself, and don't go too fast (dangerous) ...   :) 

Good advice, thanks much!  I plan on playing close attention to the rules, safety in particular.. I want to make a good impression, learn, and not waste my $$ :o 

Yeah, the intimidation factor is pretty big for me but I figure I still have plenty to deal with competing with my own skills and mental intimidation/psyching myself out that I shouldn't worry too much about the GM/M/A's watching.  They're probably too busy thinking stage prep to be concerned about the C guy and his carry gun anyway...

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Some of them are very friendly and helpful - a side benefit of shooting a Level II match.   :) 

there is that.  I've only ever run Into one person who wasn't so far and I suspect he was just doing his own thing at that moment. :)

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:55 AM, Sarge said:

Hey Sarge, question.. I'm booking a room for Friday.  Should I consider Saturday as well?  How late (ballpark) do you think this will run?

Also, the spouse is interested in going.  I've already warned her about the format. Is it spectator friendly at all?

30 minutes ago, JeremiahD said:

Hey Sarge, question.. I'm booking a room for Friday.  Should I consider Saturday as well?  How late (ballpark) do you think this will run?

Also, the spouse is interested in going.  I've already warned her about the format. Is it spectator friendly at all?

Sent you a PM