Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chapter 8 Rule clarification

chenault

I just got a CZ with a double action for Production and just wanted to clarify.  The rules state that for a double action the hammer may be down on a loaded chamber.  What I don't see and just want to check is does the safety have to be engaged or can the safety be off?  

Thank you in advance for the help.  

Edited by chenault

We just went through this a couple days ago, actually: 

I tried to just post a link.  It automatically did that box thing.  Sorry.  That thread is about a different pistol initially, but your question is also addressed in detail.

Safety can be off when the hammer is down.

For clarification, in Production, the hammer MUST be down on an SA/DA selective like the CZ.

Edited by MAC702

If you want the exact rule numbers ...

Your CZ would fall under 8.1.5.2 ... That means your Ready Condition is governed by 8.1.2.2.  Rule 8.1.2.4 (Application of the thumb safety) only applies to 8.1.2.1 and 8.1.2.3 ... Hence => Your CZ should be decocked (manually or by decocker, as applicable for your model) and the safety need not be employed.

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

If you want the exact rule numbers ...

Your CZ would fall under 8.1.5.2 ... That means your Ready Condition is governed by 8.1.2.2.  Rule 8.1.2.4 (Application of the thumb safety) only applies to 8.1.2.1 and 8.1.2.3 ... Hence => Your CZ should be decocked (manually or by decocker, as applicable for your model) and the safety need not be employed.

Question. "8.1.2.2 “Double action” – chamber loaded, hammer fully down or de-cocked."  Dont most decockers leave the hammer at "half-cock"?  Reading 8.1.2.2, seems to indicate if you have a safety you must drop the hammer fully, or if you have a decocker, half-cock is ok.  I had always thought it meant hammer is fully down, regardless. 

Edited by GregJ

9 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Question. "8.1.2.2 “Double action” – chamber loaded, hammer fully down or de-cocked."  Dont most decockers leave the hammer at "half-cock"?  Reading 8.1.2.2, seems to indicate if you have a safety you must drop the hammer fully, or if you have a decocker, half-cock is ok.  I had always thought it meant hammer is fully down, regardless. 

If you gun has  decocker where ever it goes when you use it is fine. If you don't have one,  hammer must be all the way down 

Edited by Kraj

7 minutes ago, GregJ said:

This rule is clear.  If safety, hammer fully down.  If decocker, then decocked.  

This has been fully (no, more than fully :D ) discussed here, fairly recently.

1 hour ago, GregJ said:

Official ruling is found here:

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=30