Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1/2x36 Miculek style comp

OK... before I get a 1/2x36 tap and make myself one, does anyone make a straight (non slanted) 3 side port 5/16 or 3/8 vertical slotted comp?  basically a Miculek comp threaded and bored for 9mm.... I swear I saw one listed on PSA's ste, but can't find it now... I milled a GunTecUSA slanted port, but is leads a bit...  I am about to just stick a 1/2x36 bird cage on it and be done with the lead buildup.... help an old man out...

regards Les L747...

On a related note... I thought I saw either here or on the PCC FB group that someone was doing a technical review of PCC brakes to see if they actually did anything, and if so which ones were most effective.  I can't find anything on it now.  Has any sort of review like that taken place?  There was a great review of AR comps with .223 rounds done not long ago with a rifle mounted to a sled to objectively judge comp performance.  I'd love to see something similar done with PCC comps to see if they really are anything other than aesthetics. 

Hello: Load development and buffer setup do way more than a comp does on a blowback PCC. I built quite a few 9mm PCC comps years ago and none of them really did that much. The added weight at the end of the barrel did more. There is just not enough gas generated in a minor load with a 16" barrel. If the barrel was shorter it would be a different story. My current comp design seems to be working just fine with my load and buffer setup. Thanks, Eric

7 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I've got my load development down but its low report does is not always read by the timer.

Rather than a test to see if it helps with dot movement, lets get someone to do a test on effectiveness in directing sound back to the RO.

Bill

Hello: I know my 147 grain loads are pretty quite with my comp. I have had to do a couple of reshoots since I shot them so fast the timer didn't pickup all the shots :roflol:Thanks, Eric

To avoid reshoots, I've trained the ROs to hold the timer at the end of the stage slightly
forward of my right shoulder.  So far that's the only 100% sure method of getting those last few shots on the timer.  

I'm using 147 gr bullets too at 132 PF.

Bill

I have yet to have an issue with shot timer pickup using the cheaper JP brake I'm running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the JP Tactical Brake for about $60?  (JPTC-9MM)  

What load are you shooting?

Yep.

One of my favorite loads right now is 115gr coated lead over 4gr Bullseye @ 1.11" with S&B SPP. Was perfect for Steel Challenge two weeks ago, and I've run three USPSA style matches with it as well without issue.

My buddy loaded up some 160gr coated lead over HS-6 @ 1.16 that I like for USPSA stages with swingers. I don't remember how many grains of HS-6 he used so I'll ask him when I see him next week.

I plan on getting some PCC barrels reamed.  Once that is done I can use that 160 gr data..  I've got 3/4 of a case of Ibejihead 160 gr coated bullets on the shelf alongside a few pounds of HS-6.  

Bill

No problem, I'll post it for you.

Edit: I don't know why didn't think of this earlier, I'll pull a bullet when I get home and weigh the charge.

19 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

I have yet to have an issue with shot timer pickup using the cheaper JP brake I'm running.

I use the JP 9mm brake and likewise have never had a timer issue. The brake itself will do little for muzzle flip due to the lower velocity of the round. The only thing I think might do something at all would be a linear brake or something like the VQ Forward Blow rimfire comp could possibly reduce felt recoil to just about nothing. I am pretty sure I could put my fake can on the end of my PCC and shoot it just as well as with the JP brake, but the timer might not pick it up so I don't bother.

I use the JP 9mm brake and likewise have never had a timer issue. The brake itself will do little for muzzle flip due to the lower velocity of the round. The only thing I think might do something at all would be a linear brake or something like the VQ Forward Blow rimfire comp could possibly reduce felt recoil to just about nothing. I am pretty sure I could put my fake can on the end of my PCC and shoot it just as well as with the JP brake, but the timer might not pick it up so I don't bother.

I went from a birdcage to this JP brake, and the different was being able to double tap and keep the red dot on an 8" plate at 50 feet. The birdcage would move just enough that my second shot would often rise over the top.

I went from an A2 birdcage (drilled out to 7/16") to an early production Odin Atlas comp bored out to 9mm dimensions, to a Miculek comp (also drilled out to 7/16").  Of the three, seemed like the Miculek had the most effect on minimizing recoil and directing the most sound towards a shot timer.  Before, when using the A2 the shot timer had to be very very close to pick up the shot.  Better with the Odin and best with the Miculek.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:40 AM, Jeff_Alan said:

I just purchased this one, independently of this thread, and I am SUPER happy with it.  It does not do much for minimum power factor puff loads, is almost noticible with factory winchester 115s, but is actually good with winchester 124 +P NATO and really likes full on 9mm major loads.for a $20 INCLUDING a crush washer, I couldn't be happier.  It is noticably louder across the board, and I and my PACT time picked up every shot, outdoors, when clipped to the back of my belt, even with the puff loads. - which was my actual goal.

Edited by barrysuperhawk