Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet in front of extractor

billdozer

I got a used svi. I'm shooting the same mags i was running in my sti build. Occasionally I'm getting an unfired bullet in front of the extractor, after it ejects the fired round. Any ideas where to start? 

Ha. This is interesting. I have a used SV 9 major and had this happening to me. Seen it happen to another buddy with an SV in 9 major. I contributed the malfunction in my gun to two things. One: it kept happening with the same mag. This mag had some generously wide feed lips and I think the top round wasn't held tight enough or held too high  (or both)and drug on the slide. Two: I think my recoil spring was wearing out, causing the slide to hit hard during cycling and cause inertia feeding in the mag. Eventually a round would slide forward enough that the extractor would push it in front.  The ejector jams the bullet in the barrel and makes a hell of a jam to clear. Combine these two things and I could see why it was happening.  put in a new 8lb SV recoil spring, a new mag with new springs and the problem hasn't occured since. 

It may be mag related.  I havent shot it enough to know which mags it does it with yet. I wonder if running sti mags with an svi mag catch has anything to do with it? Its one of the old style ones,  so i wouldn't think that was it. 

I had this issue with my SV and old style sv mags for a while.  I tweaked the mag springs and put an enos bend in the springs and it fixed the issue.  I haven't had it for some 7-8k rounds since.  I tweaked the mag springs for an unrelated issue, but it has fixed both problems.  YMMV.

Search is your friend.  Basically bending one of the coils to get the bullets more nose up.   I did it because I was getting nose dive jams, but it fixed my getting in front of the extractor problem as well. 

This problem could be from a number of causes, and all of them magazine related.  

I have a Colt 1911 that, when I use it with Wilson-Rogers magazines (no bump on the follower as with GI magazines and the springs aren't that strong), always does this with the last round.  Browning put that bump on the follower for a reason, and it is to prevent this.  The last cartridge in the magazine is probably being pushed forward as the next-to-last round feeds.  After firing the next-to-last cartridge, when the slide reaches the end of its travel rearward and hits its stop, there is an inertial jolt rearward of the entire pistol, and the inertia of the last cartridge in the magazine will tend to make it stay put.  With a early release point magazine or one with a weaker spring, the last cartridge pops out.  

If it happens with the next-to-last cartridge, it may cause you a variety of problems with your extractor, such as loss of tension or breakage.  

There are a number of lengthy threads on 1911-related forums on this.  

On 3/22/2017 at 8:40 PM, tha1000 said:

Search is your friend.  Basically bending one of the coils to get the bullets more nose up.   I did it because I was getting nose dive jams, but it fixed my getting in front of the extractor problem as well. 

Also known as the Enos Curve for a good reason.......