Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What low hanging fruit do I have, to get faster?

bsand

Well I've been shooting USPSA since November, totally loving the run and gun part.
I'm fairly new to pistols, as I spent the previous year shooting mostly bolt guns for PRS.

I'm hoping to classify as a high C or low B by the summer. I feel that my shooting has been constantly getting better, last match I had 76% alphas vs 69% alphas, Charlie's went from 30% to 18.5% at my last match.

I don't have any footage form my last match on Sunday, but have some from match before that. Would have had a 8.8262 HF on classifier, but messed up Virgina count, ended up at 5.2956 due to penalties. On the 'can you count' classifier.

What can I change/do to get faster and more accurate?

First match with Carry optics (3rd match with the shadow, 5th USPSA match ever)

Just for laughs, first match with shadow 3rd match over all

Edited by bsand
Fixed video embeds

Thanks, yeah that was due to using factory federal aluminum cased ammo. Not the first or only time that ammos given me troubles. Other Malfunction of that match was a stove pipe, which turned into a double feed. Took me a full second to figure out what was going on. As I had cleared the stove pipe, but caused a double feed while clearing the first malfunction.

Luckily I've now found a recipe for 100% reliability from my own reloads. Shot a match with the ammo on Sunday, not a single malfunction :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do you have a dry fire program?

I recommend that you purchase the Ben Stoeger Dry Fire Reloaded book and begin a diligent dry fire schedule.

He also has a good book on technique called Practical Pistol Reloaded.

The combo of those two books will give you a solid foundation on which to start your shooting career the right way.

No I do not have a dry fire program. Mostly all ive done for dry fire is, drawing from holster and basically pulling the trigger so the sights don't move. 

I've done some dry fire El presidentes and bill drills, but nothing really structured. 

Look in some of the other threads on here for great suggestions on how, but in general focus on moving faster.  Especially on the last stage, you just take way too much time moving between positions.  That was certainly my lowest hanging fruit early on and it looks like yours too.  As BE says, "get to the shooting".  Focus on speeding up every movement that isn't shooting.  Start with anything that happens multiple times on most every stage, then things that happen maybe once per stage, then things that happen a few times per match, and so on.  This will have the greatest impact due to stacking effect.  Apply this same strategy to prioritize what to work on in your shooting mechanics as well.  

yep, the last video was from my third match (1st with new shadow), while the rest were from my 5th match.  

I've started to actually run between positions, but I tend to shoot a bit too quickly on my follow up shots. Its like I almost don't even see the dot any more. I do not remember my second shots sight picture at all. I know my reloads are still pretty slow, which isn't soo bad considering I only have to reload maybe once a stage. Another thing I have issues with is sticking to my stage plan, and if things do not go my way how to recover from the mistakes without throwing out rest of the stage. 

Run.  Practice running.  Faster feet when shuffling around.  For some reason we all think we're running when we start this sport when at best it's a lazy jog.

Don't drop the gun so low.  Both on transitions and movement.  

No need to keep both hands on the gun for longer distance treks.  It slows you down.

Keep your gun and arms out of ports unless a sharp angle shot absolutely requires it.  Getting in and out of ports deep is slow.

Get that left hand higher on the grip and crush it.  It'll lock the gun down more and you'll find that dot comes back for shot #2.

8 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Run.  Practice running.  Faster feet when shuffling around.  For some reason we all think we're running when we start this sport when at best it's a lazy jog.

Don't drop the gun so low.  Both on transitions and movement.  

No need to keep both hands on the gun for longer distance treks.  It slows you down.

Keep your gun and arms out of ports unless a sharp angle shot absolutely requires it.  Getting in and out of ports deep is slow.

Get that left hand higher on the grip and crush it.  It'll lock the gun down more and you'll find that dot comes back for shot #2.

I went to the range today after work, with 1 box of ammo.

I did dry fire a stage multiple times, did some live fire too. But I see what you mean by keeping the gun up even when moving. The difference by just keeping my arm higher was noticeable, instead of turning the corner then bringing the gun up to my eye, aiming then pulling trigger, it was turn corner, gun on target pull trigger. 

I also did some rapid fire drills, I was actually able to track the dot I just pulled the trigger as soon as the dot was wobbling in the A-zone. Also seems that I start off with a solid grip and aim, then just 'hope' the next shot hits the A-zone probably why Im still up there in Charlies.