Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too many rounds in mag for Production?

B_RAD

Was at a local match that followed USPSA rules but wasn't an actual USPSA match. However, they followed Production or IDPA mag limits. My son was also shooting and we both had a starter mag that we loaded to 11. The other mags had 10. On one stage, we were required to deload all mags to 8 rounds. Except he forgot to deload his starter mag. He tooks some extra shots and ended up going to slide lock on the 11th round, reloaded and finished the stage. 

Pretty sure he deloaded one of his 10 round mags to 7, thinking it was his starter mag. However, the RO's didn't count or weren't paying attention. When I asked him about it, he had no idea as he wasn't counting or thinking about it. At that point, I wasn't sure what had happened since no one seemed to notice. 

9 minutes ago, waktasz said:

You can't be required to download your mags in USPSA. That's what you get for shooting "Bob's Tactical Shoot" and not an actual match

It was all good. It was actually called a defensive pistol match. And it was designed to get members of the club into practical shooting. There were about 5 competition shooters, a group of 8 or so that shoot regularly but not competitions, and a group of 3 older folks who were new to shooting altogether. Those 3 required a lot of guidance. The concept of the match was good and it was good practice for me. 

The match generally followed a USPSA format for rules, but it was scored like an IDPA match. I will probably only shoot that match again if my son wants to do it. 

40 minutes ago, waktasz said:

You can't be required to download your mags in USPSA. That's what you get for shooting "Bob's Tactical Shoot" and not an actual match

Matches like that can be fun if you kinda know what you are getting into, but the fluidity of the rules can also be annoying to say the least.  Kinda like 3 gun LOL

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

Matches like that can be fun if you kinda know what you are getting into, but the fluidity of the rules can also be annoying to say the least.  Kinda like 3 gun LOL

And I didn't know what I was getting into. I planned to go fast and then realized they were scoring like IDPA. So, on the first stage, I started out fast. But the targets were fairly close, it was a bright day and I could see the holes. And then I started slowing down mid-stage to make better shots. 

And then it dawned on me that this match didn't matter for anything, and what I needed to work on was going fast. So, I ran through the remaining stages fast and didn't worry about scoring. So, if I go back to this match, I'm just going to try and blow through it as fast as possible.