Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA stages from this past weekend

Dhudgins525

https://youtu.be/aSp4Y1bCVA4So I'm posting links to two of the stages I shot this past weekend and would like some of the more experienced shooters to give constructive criticism. Please excuse all the misses on the plate racks in the first video. I know that part is unacceptable although those plate racks dealt alot of shooters misery. Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to help. This is the first time I've ever posted a video on the forum so I'm hoping I did everything correct. https://youtu.be/aSp4Y1bCVA4 

Edited by Dhudgins525

Video #1 (No Plate Rack)- Move left (Or right) immediately. Taking the target to the right first just added a position to the stage for no reason. You need to be more aggressive with entry and exits. Your entries seem lazy. You can attack those close targets (Only 5 yards when you start shooting the first one) much more by moving in faster. When you plant that foot on the fault line, you should be ready to engage the poppers already.

Video #2 (With Plate Rack) - DOT DRILL!!! That's all this stage is. one giant dot drill. Front sight focus and squeeze. That stage is more about reducing misses than anything else. You made 5 positions our of what looked like could have been 3. Those tiny stutter steps can kill your time on a stage. Plan those spots better during your walk through.

The links went in backwards apparently....sorry about that. So more aggressive in movement, and findimg the shortest stage plan with the smallest number of shooting postitions. Thank you and thank you again. Im shooting an indoor outlaw match that runs by uspsa scoring tonight so im gonna use both suggestions this afternoon. Does vision speed pick up with experience? That's what I feel like I'm lacking on moving from plate to plate with confidence and speed on those type stages. Also confidence in making that first shot on entry without hesitation. 

10 minutes ago, Dhudgins525 said:

When you say dry fire...do I need to incorporate movement and position entry and exit into that as much as possible? I've always taken dry fire to be more for the basics of draws, reloads, transitions and such

I currently have two weak spots in my game. Stand and shoot classifier type situations, and really crushing the reload on long movements.

I have target arrays at either end of the hall. Shoot the tight partials (set up similar to a classifier) exit hard and load aggressively. Enter the other bedroom smoothly with the gun mounted and shoot the second array with fast & clean transitions.

Does that answer your question? ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yes that definitely answers my question! Lol the wife will really be looking at me like I'm crazy now. I've been shooting idpa since last April and one USPSA match a month since last June. I feel like my vision should be ahead of where it is especially on shot calling and transitions because my transitions at 10 to 15 yards are still only .4's with the occasional high .3 and sight tracking is giving me fits. El presidente was the classifier stage in Saturdays match and I butchered it terribly with a Mike, a D, and several C's. Shot the match at 62% but had 2 other Mike's on another stage. Definitely not how I envisioned the match going. 12th overall and 3rd limited but that was the suckiest feeling finish thus far.

1 hour ago, Dhudgins525 said:

When you say dry fire...do I need to incorporate movement and position entry and exit into that as much as possible? I've always taken dry fire to be more for the basics of draws, reloads, transitions and such

Yes. Dry fire should be as hard as you can make it for your current skill level. Its much more than just draw, reload, transition.