nuidad

Rounds per View

39 posts in this topic

I knew somebody would turn this into a 5-page semantics discussion.

If it's bad stage design...

...don't do it!

4 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I knew somebody would turn this into a 5-page semantics discussion.

If it's bad stage design...

...don't do it!

As much as I agree with you, bad stage design often isn't illegal...

Edited by d_striker

Not to be overly pedantic, but it appears some are confusing "location" and "view."  Both are described in the glossary.

If I take 2-3 steps I am in a new location.

A new view requires that something has to have interrupted my old view of the targets (such as a wall or other prop) and the new view has a different array of targets available.

7 minutes ago, d_striker said:

As much as I agree with you, bad stage design often isn't illegal...

We can only wish...

(Was at a L1 recently that had 3 different colored plates on the plate rack, including blue & red, and required 3 scoring  hits on the paper targets (best 2 in the body (Comstock) but only one in the head box (Virginia), and shoot only at certain color plates from each of 3 boxes.  Our heads were spinning.).  

Edited by teros135

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

We can only wish...

(Was at a L1 recently that had 3 different colored plates on the plate rack, including blue & red, and required 3 rds minimum at the paper targets (best 2 in the body (Comstock) but only one in the head box (Virginia)).  

That is definitely illegal.  

18 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Not to be overly pedantic, but it appears some are confusing "location" and "view."  Both are described in the glossary.

A new view requires that something has to have interrupted my old view of the targets (such as a wall or other prop) and the new view has a different array of targets available.

thanks for pointing that out.  that is useful information to remember.

Jodi - I know that Rule 1.2.1 specifies the maximum number of shooting positions in Short and Medium courses, but Rule 1.2.1.3 is silent on the number of shooting positions in a Long course.  Where is the reference to a long course needed at least 4?

3 minutes ago, Lee Cabana said:

Jodi - I know that Rule 1.2.1 specifies the maximum number of shooting positions in Short and Medium courses, but Rule 1.2.1.3 is silent on the number of shooting positions in a Long course.  Where is the reference to a long course needed at least 4?

it's just math, assuming you have 25 rounds or more, if there are only 3 positions, then there is no way to shoot the stage without requiring more than 8 shots from at least 1 view.

Edited by motosapiens

5 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I think you're right about people using "location" and "view" synonymously when they clearly each have their own definition.  I'm certainly guilty of it.

But 1.2.1.3 says "location OR view."  Perhaps this rule would be better if it read "location AND view."

Edited by d_striker

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

it's just math, assuming you have 25 rounds or more, if there are only 3 positions, then there is no way to shoot the stage without requiring more than 8 shots from at least 1 view.

The trap is that some people read this and get insanely literal.

If three of the targets are available to be shot on the move while running down a long thin shooting area between a wall at the front of the bay and a wall at the back...

You need to count that as a view or location or whatever you choose to call them, even if they CAN be shot through a port somewhere else.

And in such a setup, even if the stage otherwise only has 3 ports/windows/shooting positions/view/locations ... it's now probably legal.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And in such a setup, even if the stage otherwise only has 3 ports/windows/shooting positions/view/locations ... it's now probably legal.

well duh. Add 1 to 3 other ports/windows/shooting positions/views/locations, and you get 4.

I'm good at math.

;)

Not at all.

To shoot that stage you MUST fire 8 shots from one position or another.

To put it very simply:

The stage may be designed so that open shooters can shoot the vast majority of the stage from one position. That's fine.

The stage cannot force a production or revolver shooter to perform a flat-footed reload and continue shooting from that location.

Come on, no one gives a damn if us revo shooters have a standing reload at every single position. The 8 round rule comes as a direct result of single stack major shooters, cuz John Moses Browning.

8 hours ago, PatJones said:

Come on, no one gives a damn if us revo shooters have a standing reload at every single position. The 8 round rule comes as a direct result of single stack major shooters, cuz John Moses Browning.

Sorry. I deliberately forgot SS was a thing. Again. ;) 

10 hours ago, PatJones said:

Come on, no one gives a damn if us revo shooters have a standing reload at every single position. 

that's true. I don't. but I shoot SS, lol.