Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FM Cases?

RickT

I encountered my first FM headstamp when sweeping a magnet over a bunch of cases to make sure no steel had snuck in.  Found a "brass" FM case: magnetic and cracked to boot.  Since then I've found a few more, one "magnetic" and one that didn't feed correctly into the 1050 shellplate.  I understand this is Freedom Munitions "brass", but what gives with the iron content?  Anone else encountered these?

American Steel. Stepped brass wasn't enough of an abomination. Now they're brass plating steel cases. Out in the elements, the steel will rust through the plating pretty quickly.

They've also changed the headstamp. You'll find Xtreme stamped headbrass that's ok, but the American Steel stuff coming out these days it stamped "Xtreme ST" You "can" reload it, but I don't bother.

I generally cull anything labeled "FM" "Ammoload" or "IMT" as that's almost always ledged brass which may or may not give you fits on the swage station.

Edited by haiedras

21 hours ago, njl said:

American Steel. Stepped brass wasn't enough of an abomination. Now they're brass plating steel cases. Out in the elements, the steel will rust through the plating pretty quickly.

S&B had copper washed(I think) steel cases for quite awhile But I believe they stopped making it. I have been running magnets through range brass since 2010.

Freedom munitions has also stopped making stepped cases from what I understand.

i load them to minor PF for my PCC and so far no issues.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:35 AM, GregJ said:

Another vote for this.  Great insurance, and cheap too. 

I had a couple of neodymium magnets stuck to the safe door and just added them to my casefeeder after seeing this post.  I couldn't find any steel cases to test this but it snagged a steel pin that I dropped down the tube with no problems.  Good idea.

magnets.jpg.f93b7baa084577324a1fabacdcdb8f3f.jpg

7 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I had a couple of neodymium magnets stuck to the safe door and just added them to my casefeeder after seeing this post.  I couldn't find any steel cases to test this but it snagged a steel pin that I dropped down the tube with no problems.  Good idea.

magnets.jpg.f93b7baa084577324a1fabacdcdb8f3f.jpg

+1

I use magnets recovered from old hard drives in the same spot on my 550 and 1050's.

It stops the steel cases in their tracks.