Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Build parts help

je85

I'm in the process of finding parts for a 2011 build and it will be used for uspsa limited division.

I'm going with 40 s&w in 5"

What are the best 2011 frames available? 

What are the best unique cut slides?

I will probably be going with a KKM bull barrel.

I will be doing oven cure cerakote finish on it.

This will be my first full build.

I was originally looking at a sti 5.0 edge frame that shooters connection international has.

They also have the sti unique slide with sight cuts and serrations.

I emailed ck arms today about a stainless slide.

I'm not sure if fitting will be a problem mixing brands.

5 minutes ago, je85 said:

I was originally looking at a sti 5.0 edge frame that shooters connection international has.

You must mean Speed Shooters International? Shooters Connection is a totally different company. I get everything from Shooters Connection . :)

1 hour ago, je85 said:

I don't think the slides they have in stock are stainless.  Mixing isn't a problem, just requires different amounts of fitting.  I believe, not positive, that CK has tweaked their frames to closer match their slides so there is less fitting, but you are still going to have to fit them.  Send them another message and ask about it. 

Mixing and matching certainly can be a problem.  While you can take a lot off the frame rails of an STI to fit a Caspian slide, you cannot necessarily go the other way.  The best way is to check with the manufacturer first, or buy you components from a supplier who offers returns or exchange.

Here is an example.  I have a new JEM Guns frame with rails that are .755" wide.  I have a new STI slide with slide ways measuring .757" wide and a new Caspian slide with ways measuring .752" wide.  Guess which one I'll have to use.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Mixing and matching certainly can be a problem.  While you can take a lot off the frame rails of an STI to fit a Caspian slide, you cannot necessarily go the other way.  The best way is to check with the manufacturer first, or buy you components from a supplier who offers returns or exchange.

Here is an example.  I have a new JEM Guns frame with rails that are .755" wide.  I have a new STI slide with slide ways measuring .757" wide and a new Caspian slide with ways measuring .752" wide.  Guess which one I'll have to use.

Can't beat first hand experience. Supports my comment that the OP should check with CK then, they have frames and slides in stock I believe. 

Ill just use the same brand for frame and slide. Has any one used the STI frame and slide that i mentioned above?

Whats the deal with JEM guns High Capacity Modular Government? I did not see any pictures of it on their site.

Is it a para/caspian style double stack?

For my 2011 build I will go with the standard sti grip that I will stipple.I would like to go with a steel grip but I cant justify the cost of them at the moment.

The mix and match is more work

I don't use any STI stuff any longer since they have not been as easy to deal with slides that have been milled/ lightened

Last two years they've declined to replace two slides that met their weight criteria but still denied claim. One was cut to mimic the DVC which was when I stopped using their stuff.

Caspian has been good right along and the CK frames seem nice.

As mentioned above it's nice if you can get the width close so your not fighting yourself or have to start with looseness from the start

je85, JEM is not permitted to sell 2011 frames retail (yet).  All of the output must go to the custom builders who commissioned the work.  Some of those builders intend to sell the frames retail, once they get enough to complete their custom orders.  The JEM is a 2011 frame designed to take the new EVO grip, but it will take other grips as well.

je85, here is an update.  JEM will be allowed to sell a 2011 frame retail as soon as he fills the custom makers orders.  Pricing has not yet been established.  The frame will come in two flavors.  One will fit an STI grip.  The other will fit an EVO grip.  There is enough of a difference that the are not interchangeable.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

One will fit an STI grip.  The other will fit an EVO grip.  There is enough of a difference that the are not interchangeable.

that is weird, I can take my EVO off my CK frame and put my STI plastic grip back on without any issues and it fits solid.