sstephns

Should have DQ'd a shooter

15 posts in this topic

New RO here. Should have DQd a shooter for two infractions on the same COF but wasn't sure enough about them or quick enough to do it prior to end of COF. The more I think about it, the more I believe I was wrong in not issuing the DQ. I keep playing it over and over in my head and feel guilty about it. But I reckon it's a lesson learned and fortunately without consequence.

My point is, go with your gut.

You can DQ a shooter after they finish COF. I have done it when a shooter was very hard of hearing. He never heard stop multiple times. I just DQED him when he as finished.

Learning the art of ROing takes time. There are two distinct ways of looking at it.

Safety is paramount so when in doubt stop the shooter. OR It sucks to ruin a good run with a wrong call so you let it go and wonder if you were wrong.

I stopped a shooter at a level II a few years back when his gun went off unintentionally. As soon as I finished yelling stop I had my doubts if it would meet the criteria for an AD but it was still a safety issue and I reacted. I still called for the RM and told him I may have jumped the gun and he overturned the DQ. I apologized to the shooter and had him reshoot. 

I always feel feel better later if I made a call than if I didn't when I should have.

I had a shooter with an AD I called stop he never heard me,but all the peanut gallery did..

About half way thru the stage he stopped and ask me, why you didn't DQ me ?

I said I did, but you never heard me and I was going to call you after you finished..

He unloaded show clear .. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mreed911 said:

DQ'ed for?

Close to or broke the 180. I tried to be in a good spot to watch it on this particular stage and saw it go that way when he reloaded but wasn't 100% sure. Second was finger in the trigger while clearing a malf on the last two targets

Edited by sstephns

close to 180 isn't a dq.  those calls are tough to make unless they're really obvious.  occasionally i will look up at the downrange berm to get my bearings again during a shooter's run.  

1 minute ago, davsco said:

close to 180 isn't a dq.  those calls are tough to make unless they're really obvious.  occasionally i will look up at the downrange berm to get my bearings again during a shooter's run.  

Understood. Another shooter told me after that he had broke it, but again I couldn't call it or be certain about it. 

59 minutes ago, sstephns said:

Close to or broke the 180. I tried to be in a good spot to watch it on this particular stage and saw it go that way when he reloaded but wasn't 100% sure. Second was finger in the trigger while clearing a malf on the last two targets

as previously mentioned, 'close to' isn't a dq. Every dq I have called for 180 has been absolutely no doubt.

also note that you only have to remove your finger from the trigger guard when clearing a malfunction if you move the gun so it is clearly not pointing at targets. It can be hard to tell the difference between 'still in the trigger guard' vs 'out of the trigger guard but next to it'.

At any rate, it is good to think about these things. Especially when learning, you will miss some stuff, or not be sure about it. That is better imho than making a call where you are actually guessing.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

as previously mentioned, 'close to' isn't a dq. Every dq I have called for 180 has been absolutely no doubt.

also note that you only have to remove your finger from the trigger guard when clearing a malfunction if you move the gun so it is clearly not pointing at targets. It can be hard to tell the difference between 'still in the trigger guard' vs 'out of the trigger guard but next to it'.

At any rate, it is good to think about these things. Especially when learning, you will miss some stuff, or not be sure about it. That is better imho than making a call where you are actually guessing.

Yea... Booger hook was clearly hooked near the bang switch and clearly not pointed at the target while trying to clear the cluster. That's the one in really kicking myself over. 

But yes, good to think about. 

Edited by sstephns

1 hour ago, sstephns said:

Understood. Another shooter told me after that he had broke it, but again I couldn't call it or be certain about it. 

If YOU didn't see it don't waste any more time worrying about it.

As for the close to 180, a very wise RM taught me that even he rarely DQ's a shooter for breaking 180. But 190 or 200 you'll KNOW when that happens and he had called those many times. :)

5 hours ago, sstephns said:

As others have already said, you have to be 100% sure that the shooter broke 180 in order to DQ them.  Even if you're 99.9% sure they broke it, you can't call it.  It doesn't matter what the peanut gallery tells you...The responsibility is on the RO to make the call.

Also, as Moto pointed out, finger in the trigger guard while clearing a malfunction is allowed if gun is still pointed at targets per 10.5.8.

5 hours ago, d_striker said:

As others have already said, you have to be 100% sure that the shooter broke 180 in order to DQ them.  Even if you're 99.9% sure they broke it, you can't call it.  It doesn't matter what the peanut gallery tells you...The responsibility is on the RO to make the call.

Also, as Moto pointed out, finger in the trigger guard while clearing a malfunction is allowed if gun is still pointed at targets per 10.5.8.

Definitely not pointed at the targets.

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

I stopped a shooter at a level II a few years back when his gun went off unintentionally. As soon as I finished yelling stop I had my doubts if it would meet the criteria for an AD but it was still a safety issue and I reacted. I still called for the RM and told him I may have jumped the gun and he overturned the DQ. I apologized to the shooter and had him reshoot. 

That's not unreasonable at all -- I've seen (and done) that sort of thing several times, usually for the AD-that-isn't-a-DQable-offense type calls.

14 hours ago, sstephns said:

can't DQ for being close to 180, if you are not absolutely 100% certain he broke 180, you should not DQ the shooter.

if the shooter is on target and clearing a malfunction, they are within the rules to have their finger on the trigger.

The score keeper needs to be the 2nd RO and needs to be at the right spot to see 180's . If the main RO is behind the shooter its really hard to see it.