Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting into CO

kalaikanui

USPSA Limited and Single Stack shooter here and wanting to get started in CO. Bought an M&P Performance Center 9L and want to find a Leupold Deltapoint 2 to put on it (not a new DP Pro as the don't fit) want to be able to co-witness the suppressor sights. Anybody got any ideas or connections for finding one of the older model RDS???? Check your safes and Junk drawers guys....

i know you say you want to co witness the sights, but I would probably advise against this if its a pure competition gun. If anything just a tall front post. 

I would probably start calling around to gun stores or Leupold direct looking for old stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the opposing view.  I set up 2 guns almost exactly the same, both with co-witnessed iron sights.  I had a Glock 17 and a Glock 22 milled for DeltaPoints and installed Suarez suppressor sights.  The G17 is my competition pistol and has all sorts of mods.  The G22 (converted to 9mm) is my home defense gun, and is much closer to stock.  I wanted them roughly the same so my reps in competition would transfer easily to my HD gun.

With all the dry fire I do, I never need my iron sights to find the dot, though.  They are there just in case, but I use consistent practice to find the dot predictably, not the iron sights.  And there's no downside to having them, just a downside to using them (just a hair slower).

3 hours ago, CHLChris said:

Here's the opposing view.  I set up 2 guns almost exactly the same, both with co-witnessed iron sights.  I had a Glock 17 and a Glock 22 milled for DeltaPoints and installed Suarez suppressor sights.  The G17 is my competition pistol and has all sorts of mods.  The G22 (converted to 9mm) is my home defense gun, and is much closer to stock.  I wanted them roughly the same so my reps in competition would transfer easily to my HD gun.

With all the dry fire I do, I never need my iron sights to find the dot, though.  They are there just in case, but I use consistent practice to find the dot predictably, not the iron sights.  And there's no downside to having them, just a downside to using them (just a hair slower).

My thinking would go along the lines as above. While they would not be needed, if things go as normal, there would be times that iron sights would be useful. I have been witness to Open shooters forgetting to turn on their electronic sight, and they shoot the stage without any sights at all. Also I have seen competitors have things go wrong with their electronic sights in the middle of a stage. The irons being co witnessed would allow for a backup should the electronic sights go down. As we all know firearms can have malfunctions, which is why many have backup firearms to their primary.

Take what I say for what it is worth to you, as I primarily compete in Revolver Division and occasionally Single Stack Division or Production Division. My comments are just my personal thoughts on the subject. 

I have been shooting CO for about a year now and I do not co-witness with irons. I feel like they would just get in the way. I have never had the need for them...until I went to optics nationals and my elevation adjustment broke on the practice bay before my first stage [emoji52].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk