Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Serpa Holsters

mlm

Wrote to Troy at USPSA, waiting on an answer. It's just that these holsters have a good design, just poorly used. People make mistakes and when they do, it hurts them and others. I know the shooting sports can be dangerous, depends on the shooter.  Have seen a lot of scary ones shooting competition over the last 30 years.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I talked this over with the other instructors. We don't see taking this off as any different than unlocking a locked holster prior to the draw, or cutting the strap off one.

Troy

On 3/22/2017 4:47 PM, mike merkler wrote:

Troy, Need an official ruling on SERPA HOLSTERS. If a competitor takes out the retaining tab (you use your trigger finger to release the weapon) If the holster is designed with this safety device on it, can he deactivate it so it doesn't work? I know if a magazine pouch has a strap, it must be used. Of course shooters cut them off so they are not used. Thanks, MIke Merkler TY11297

-- Troy McManus Director, NROI

Just got this from Troy. So there you are and I am ok with the answer. Takes it away from the Range Officer.

Thanks,

MIke

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2017 at 12:40 PM, mlm said:

I talked this over with the other instructors. We don't see taking this off as any different than unlocking a locked holster prior to the draw, or cutting the strap off one.

Troy

On 3/22/2017 4:47 PM, mike merkler wrote:

Troy, Need an official ruling on SERPA HOLSTERS. If a competitor takes out the retaining tab (you use your trigger finger to release the weapon) If the holster is designed with this safety device on it, can he deactivate it so it doesn't work? I know if a magazine pouch has a strap, it must be used. Of course shooters cut them off so they are not used. Thanks, MIke Merkler TY11297

-- Troy McManus Director, NROI

Just got this from Troy. So there you are and I am ok with the answer. Takes it away from the Range Officer.

Thanks,

MIke

So just to make sure I understand Troy's response. Unmodified SERPA holster's are allowed, modified SERPA holsters (e.g., the retention button is disabled) is not. If a RO is following the USPSA rules, they have no basis to not allow an unmodified SERPA holster.

Has there been any change in the USPSA's position on this in the past 2+ years?

My local club does not ban then however we do often discuss with our new shooters that they are not ideal and recommend they replace it next time but it isn't required.

The Gen 1 holsters are really bad because the index finger is online with the trigger guard when hitting the release. The Gen 2 holsters though put the release online with the frame above the trigger guard so they aren't as bad.

As for Troy's response, seems like permanently disabling it is ok, like cutting off a retention strap. If it's present use it. If not, you are G2G.

As the title for this section is "USPSA/IPSC Rules", I think it interesting to note that IPSC banned such holsters last year.  (That is unlike us where USPSA has taken no position on them.  (See IPSC 5.2.7.4)  A significant portion of their thinking on this subject rested with FLETC having banned such holsters - and specifically the SERPA holsters - a couple of years ago as there had been too many incidents causing injuries while using them.

I don't see USPSA banning them anytime in the near future, BUT … Given that FLETC has banned them - Given that IPSC has banned them - should an injury occur during a USPSA match I can only imagine the tact an ambulance chasing lawyer might pursue in court asking WHY we haven't' banned them.  Just thinking out loud here ...

• 2 weeks later...

Our national reservist 3gun organization just banned those trigger finger released holsters because of one accident on our national match.

Better be safe than sorry.

(Lock Block or Lock Sport -locking mechanism holsters like Dasta 720,730,740 ja 750
All trigger finger released holsters like IMI and Serpa)