Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Launching a spring in the middle of a trigger upgrade

GregJ

ARGH

In the middle of putting in a CGW kit in my CZ Phantom last night, when I launched the DC lift spring.  Dang.  Ordered some replacements, will resume when they come in.

-_- 

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of the divots in my ceiling due to "launching" a spring/bushing while cleaning a 1911 . . . then trying to dig it out from behind the couch . . . (if that's actually where it went. One of them went literally down the hall and into the spare bedroom on one frustrating occasion. Now THAT was a long search . . .)  <_<

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, GregJ said:

ARGH

In the middle of putting in a CGW kit in my CZ Phantom last night, when I launched the DC lift spring.  Dang.  Ordered some replacements, will resume when they come in.

-_- 

I have a recliner that is filled with about $80 worth of glock 6lb trigger springs, and reduced power safety springs....one day I will salvage them!

the bench

I launched one once doing something. I was standing up, standing over the gun on the table. I knew it was gonna pop but let it slip and no shit. it flew right past my head, I heard it hit the ceiling in the garage and then felt it land in the hood on my hoodie. Talk about a lucky day. 

I probably have AR detents lost in at least every room in my house. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, koteris said:

Kids are very good at finding tiny springs.  Young fresh eyes and much closer to the ground.  I usually just set them loose with a flashlight and some sort of reward/incentive.  100% return rate so far.

Do you rent them out?  

I lost a CZ 75 safety detent, and searched and searched for it, for HOURS! 

Finally, I gave up, and ordered a replacement (plus another for a spare and a spare safety detent spring while I was at it).  This happened just before a holiday, so I didn't get the replacements for about 10 days.  While installing a new detent, I lost the detent spring!  Looked for it for quite some time, but I had another spring (thankfully).  (BTW, I was working on it inside a gallon ziplock bag when the spring launched into the Twilight Zone.)  

Finished installing the new detent and spring, and was putting stuff away and cleaning up.  Looked down on the garage floor, and there was the original lost detent! 

Cars had been in and out of the garage every day since it was lost, but there it was, plain as day!  

Still expecting to find the lost spring some day...  LOL!  

I look for awhile.  If I don't find it pretty quick I yell at my wife and she comes to help look for it (and usually finds it).

I was working on a CZ 75 SA the other day and launched the trigger return spring (a CGW reduced power spring, too).  I thought I had my finger covering the frame but it made it out between my finger tip back.  I hear it hit the kitchen cabinets on the other side of the table, bounce off those and hit the back wall of the mud room and then hit again somewhere in the mud room.  I moved every piece of furniture, every bag/box was moved and emptied, moved my wife's  elliptical trainer, the rugs at the door and coat rack, even the shoe stand and pulled all the pairs of shoes out of it and dumped them upside down.  No luck.  I hollered at my wife and she came in to help.

She found it under the freezer up against the kitchen to mud room wall.  That "reduced power" trigger return spring had traveled about 25 ft. while bouncing off cabinets, walls and the floor.  Oh, trigger pull on the SA is down to 2 lbs. now.

No kidding, I launched an M1 Garand extractor spring out the window of the reloading shed into the grass one day and she round that for me.  I wouldn't trade her for anything.