Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage/plan choices

I think stages that offer shooters choices about how to run the stage are the most interesting.  What is the most interesting/memorable choice you've ever seen a stage present?  Or, among the more common types of choices, what is your favorite?  

I hate when you start down range, and have to run backwards ...   :angry:

My favorite COF, ever, was one day in Connecticut at an in-door range,

they laid out two COF's behind curtains - one person shot at a time,

with NO knowledge of what was behind the curtain.

We didn't know how many targets there would be, or where they

would be, in advance - one had a spotlight shining in our eyes

as we shot the entire COF - in a fairly dark room.

But, that's tough to set up and run ...   too bad.  Little more realistic

if you don't know what to expect, at all.

Maybe 2 years ago at Area 3.  There was a stage that you started with a ball in your hand.  You could use the ball to hit a stomp pad that would unlock a door.  Or, you could skip the door altogether and run around.  Then, at the end was another stomp pad that enlarged some ports from roughly 3" to 6".   There may be something I'm forgetting but it was a lot of discussion and seemed like no two people shot it the same way.   It was a lot of fun.  

Can't think of one particular stage, but my favorite ones are when you have 6 people in the same division all shoot it a different way. Those are quality stages that are usually fun because you can develop your own plan to your strength. 

2 hours ago, Glock26Toter said:

Maybe 2 years ago at Area 3.  There was a stage that you started with a ball in your hand.  You could use the ball to hit a stomp pad that would unlock a door.  Or, you could skip the door altogether and run around.  Then, at the end was another stomp pad that enlarged some ports from roughly 3" to 6".   There may be something I'm forgetting but it was a lot of discussion and seemed like no two people shot it the same way.   It was a lot of fun.  

The ball business sounds crazy, but I love the idea of a stomp-pad - probably at least a couple of steps out of the way to make activating it something of a time-eater - making some subsequent shots easier!  Neat idea.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Can't think of one particular stage, but my favorite ones are when you have 6 people in the same division all shoot it a different way. Those are quality stages that are usually fun because you can develop your own plan to your strength. 

That's exactly how I feel.  

4 hours ago, Glock26Toter said:

Maybe 2 years ago at Area 3.  There was a stage that you started with a ball in your hand.  You could use the ball to hit a stomp pad that would unlock a door.  

We had something similar here in Florida a few years ago - don't remember which club

it was - but it was sure different.

We also had a stage where you had to carry a police shield (about five feet tall, and

not too light) during the entire stage - and it needed a reload even with 29 in my gun.

BUT, a LOT of people complained about that stage - I liked it because it was

something different than the usual.   :) 

8 hours ago, Glock26Toter said:

2016...stage 11 or so...i shot it using GM plan and skipped the ball...big mistake.  The port holes were a lot smaller after the buzzer went off.  the 32rnd 1 per target stage that year was my favorite.  

the baton activated ports at frostproof can really get people arguing about what to do.

it seems the most common choice is shoot "it" from way back here or move up to the front to shoot "it" closer. take the time far back and save steps over the ground or take the time to run up and blast target/s.

any stage set in a square or U shape, do you follow the border? do you zig zag and advance? is the stage symetrical? where is the hardest target? reloads?

On 3/20/2017 at 9:28 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

there's no such thing as 'having to run backwards'. you can run in whatever manner you choose, as long as you keep the gun pointed downrange.

21 hours ago, ATLDave said:

The ball business sounds crazy, but I love the idea of a stomp-pad - probably at least a couple of steps out of the way to make activating it something of a time-eater - making some subsequent shots easier!  Neat idea.

we used a 10lb dumbbell to activate a stomp-pad at a match recently. The dumbbell was places about 1/3 of the way from the start position to the stomp pad, allowing a number of choices as far as what (if anything) to shoot one-handed.

On 3/20/2017 at 11:28 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

My favorite COF, ever, was one day in Connecticut at an in-door range,

they laid out two COF's behind curtains - one person shot at a time,

with NO knowledge of what was behind the curtain.

We didn't know how many targets there would be, or where they

would be, in advance - one had a spotlight shining in our eyes

as we shot the entire COF - in a fairly dark room.

But, that's tough to set up and run ...   too bad.  Little more realistic

if you don't know what to expect, at all.

Wow very cool! What range in CT was that? Do they still have matches?

30 minutes ago, Haywizzle said:

Wow very cool! What range in CT was that? Do they still have matches?

I think they switched from USPSA courses to IDPA - It's Wolf Range just

south of Hartford.    (I haven't been there in 8 years, or more).   

It was a blast.   Seems to me a little more "realistic" than laying out a COF on

paper, and have everyone "walk thru" .... that will NEVER happen in

any real life incident.

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I think they switched from USPSA courses to IDPA - It's Wolf Range just

south of Hartford.    (I haven't been there in 8 years, or more).   

It was a blast.   Seems to me a little more "realistic" than laying out a COF on

paper, and have everyone "walk thru" .... that will NEVER happen in

any real life incident.

Great thank you, I'll check them out. Always looking for local places to compete. 

14 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

Great thank you, I'll check them out. Always looking for local places to compete. 

Hey Dan. Good to see you're still around. I miss the Bridgeport plate night. I shot at wolff a while age. Nice and clean. I think it's run by a bunch of LEOs. They're in Bristol. 

On 3/25/2017 at 8:31 AM, Youngeyes said:

Hey Dan. Good to see you're still around. I miss the Bridgeport plate night. I shot at wolff a while age. Nice and clean. I think it's run by a bunch of LEOs. They're in Bristol. 

Hey Joe! It's been a long time. After some time off I've been getting back into it. I shot Greyson's plates on Wednesdays a few times and I hear some of the guys are getting BPT back up on every other Monday nights opposite of IDPA. I haven't made that one yet because of work but my schedule might change soon. Hope you are well. -Dan