Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are you adapting to the new rules?

Peplow530

I am heading off to compete in the Centeral CA Regional sactioned match in acouple of weeks and haven't shot a single match under the new rules.

How quickly did everyone adapt to the new rules? Is there any particular rules that you have been struggling to get use to?

I would consider myself to be a quick learner and feel competent with a handgun. I'm looking forward to trying out the new book but a tiny part of me is thinking I might screw something up.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fourth today. 

I have not had much trouble adapting. 

A raised fault line is actually easy to hit.

If they only paint stripe the ground, it gets harder. 

The "traveling reload" is not hard to get into, but whether it is a real help depends on the CoF. 

One second scoring?  Well, that's up to you. 

Haven't seen a FP yet. 

16 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

How am I adapting?

Just signed up for a USPSA membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been shooting more USPSA lately as well, hence the haven't shot IDPA yet this year. But I'm really looking forward to trying it out 

I prefer the old scoring.  It does seem to

make you go a little slower (for me at least) to ensure you get good hits. Though, the goal is to be fast and accurate so, I'll just need to practice more!  

I'm seeing painted lines everywhere I'm shooting.  Wish they'd use stick but understand those take more time. 

It's gonna take some time to for all the "bugs" to get worked out. 

I like the reload in the open if the targets have been engaged. 

Run to the fault line, stop. Do not think about "am i in cover?" when it comes to where you are on the ground. Still reference the best place to stop on the fault line, but no more futzing around when you get there.

Shoot zeros. Absolutely make up any suspected miss or -3.

Find places to do a reload with retention while moving. Bury the reload in your movement versus doing a standing slide lock reload every chance you get.

Shoot more on the move.

The only issue I've had (once) was with a stage where there were two targets visible from the fault line and I shot them out of order. Now I keep in mind to still "pie the corner" even if more than one target is visible.

Overall, fault lines speed things up in my opinion.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only 2 things (there are more) really bother me.

1.  Fault lines - they are a trip hazard.  Saw that at a state match where I was CSO.  I paint the lines.

2. The FTN should have remained.

Edited by RePete

45 minutes ago, RePete said:

Only 2 things (there are more) really bother me.

1.  Fault lines - they are a trip hazard.  Saw that at a state match where I was CSO.  I paint the lines.

2. The FTN should have remained.

Personally I think the fault lines are a great improvement. I'm also okay with removing the FTN, I feel like a 6-10 second penalty is probably enough for one target.

I'm still not a big fan of the 1 second scoring, but I can live with it. With the scoring this way I feel the best approach is to shoot as fast you can and be pretty much clean. If you drop more than a couple points on a stage you're not going to win.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:37 AM, rowdyb said:

Run to the fault line, stop. Do not think about "am i in cover?" when it comes to where you are on the ground. Still reference the best place to stop on the fault line, but no more futzing around when you get there.

I agree with this totally.  No more worries about am I in or out of cover.  The only area in the new rules I do not like is the scoring.  I wish they would go back to 1/2 second down per point.

How are fault lines a hazard when the USPSA guys have been doing to for so many years? I really like them. As Rowdy said, just gauge where you need to approach during your walkthrough.

The -1 sec scoring doesn’t bother me. On the other hand, the -1 sec head box makes me want to throat punch babies. 

I suck at RWR, so I just look for spots to ammo dump and reload on the move.

Im not the fastest or most accurate shooter. But even after taking a month off of shooting, I managed a 2nd overall with a friend’s loaner pistol and went 0 down. 

5 minutes ago, RePete said:

I've never seen a fault line on the street, in the bush etc.  They make this MORE of a game.

Think parking stops, sidewalk curbs, tree roots, etc. 

As far as people tripping on them, just how big in diameter are they making them? The stuff we use would be comparable to 1” base board trim. 

Edited by v1911

6 minutes ago, v1911 said:

I managed a 2nd overall with a friend’s loaner pistol and went 0 down. 

Down 0 for the hole match? Well done, and 2nd place very nice. I have a goal of a clean match while finishing HOA at my local club match. I haven't done it yet, I've been fastest and most accurate a few times but the clean match eludes me.

1 hour ago, DukeEB said:

The new rules make it better.  The 1sec PD just changes the measurements, not the game.

This is true, and for the most part the results are still the same at my club matches. The top guys are still the top guys. What's crazy is to overall time for a 5 stage match isn't all that different than it was before. Raw time is probably up some, accuracy is up..at least at the top of the board.

I don't really know how it's effecting the guys at the bottom honestly. I'd assume if accuracy is a problem for you, it hurts. And no matter how much "slowing down to get your hits" you do you're probably screwed.

I was one of those vehemently opposed to 1sec/1pd when it first came out. Now I am used to it and accept it. As long as the rules are stable for years, like 3-5, then I think everyone will eventually be on the same page.

I mean, even me who started in 2012 this is the 3rd set of rules I've seen. I'd like someone who started in 2017 to have one rule set their first 5 years into the sport/game.

I've never seen a fault line on the street, in the bush etc.  They make this MORE of a game.
When there are overall rankings and awards, it's a game! That's why IDPA,USPSA and the rest are shooting sports. If what you seek is training there are plenty of places for that as well. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, GMB said:

When there are overall rankings and awards, it's a game! That's why IDPA,USPSA and the rest are shooting sports. If what you seek is training there are plenty of places for that as well. Cheers

.Not looking for training, but wanting the sport the way it was when I started in 2006.  Much better than it is now.

2 minutes ago, GMB said:

It was too subjective on cover calls and not consistent. IMO, I do however prefer the .5 scoring.

I have found that fault lines are subjective too.  Also a trip hazard.