Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 stage trigger for 3 gun?

optimator

I started shooting 3 gun one year ago to the month. All last season I used a RRA R3 upper on a home built lower. I used a Geissele SSA-E trigger and I really liked it. I built a new rifle for this year and went with a POF flat 4.5 trigger. It's OK. But I don't love it. The club I shoot at usually has at least one 200 - 300 yard target. The longest last year was 385. I like the set of the two stage on longer shots. And I don't think it really slowed me down much on bay stages. Plus, I'll be 55 this year, so it's not like I'm going to set 3GN on fire either :D. How many of you use 2 stage triggers? 

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not  my STI TruBor ...  

Do you really have ZERO pre-travel? Most shooters prefer at least a little bit. Any pre-travel, then the break is two stages... My Infinity and STI Apeiro are both two stage triggers.

I shoot the M14 whenever Heavy Metal is available, so, yeah, 2-stage rules!

I have the SSA-E in most of my AR's, but recently put the S3G in the one I've been playing with when Heavy Metal isn't allowed.  The jury is still out on it.  I really only did it so I had experience with it, not because I think it'll really make a difference at my level.

7 minutes ago, MAC702 said:

I shoot the M14 whenever Heavy Metal is available, so, yeah, 2-stage rules!

I have the SSA-E in most of my AR's, but recently put the S3G in the one I've been playing with when Heavy Metal isn't allowed.  The jury is still out on it.  I really only did it so I had experience with it, not because I think it'll really make a difference at my level.

That was my reason for trying the POF, just so I could compare it to my 2 stage triggers. It's a good trigger but I prefer a 2 stage.

Check out TriggerTech. They have several models. I ran an SSA-E in my old guns liked it but didn't know any better(reset is super long). Switched to a single stage for 2 years with my JP. Now back with a 2 stage from TriggerTech. Reset is super short (.03"). Breaks at a crisp 2.5 pounds.

2 hours ago, LoganbillJ said:

Check out TriggerTech. They have several models. I ran an SSA-E in my old guns liked it but didn't know any better(reset is super long). Switched to a single stage for 2 years with my JP. Now back with a 2 stage from TriggerTech. Reset is super short (.03"). Breaks at a crisp 2.5 pounds.

That's some pretty cool innovation for AR triggers, though more complex. But hey, its a lifetime warranty and its permanently enclosed in its housing. I'm certainly intrigued....

On 3/21/2017 at 6:55 AM, LoganbillJ said:

I ordered one this morning. I'll update after I receive it. 

I have a SSA-E and it is decent for quick shots, and excellent for long, precise stuff. However I recently fired both a S3G and one of the HiperFire single stage triggers and I have to say they are at least a little bit faster for hosing with my trigger finger.

Overall for my uses a 2-stage like the SSA-E is precise and reliable.

On 3/20/2017 at 11:31 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Guess it's a matter of  definition ...

I never considered pre-travel to be a "stage".

Of course my trigger has pre-travel - iff that's

a stage, then my TruBor is a 2-stage.

THIS! Takeup is not a "first stage". Takeup is... takeup. When you hit resistance, if there is only a crisp break after that, it is not a "two-stage trigger"! Definitely a matter of definition of terms used.  

9 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Now I'm confused. 

By "MY Def'n", a single stage trigger has takeup - all guns do - but then

it's one pull thru to set the gun off.

A two-stage trigger also has takeup, and the 1st pull to a defined stop,

and then a very light 2nd stage.

Takeup has nothing to do, in MY def'n, with 1- stage or 2-stage triggers.    :) 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

By "MY Def'n", a single stage trigger has takeup - all guns do

Then your def'n has not experienced a well tuned single stage trigger such as a JP, where there is NO perceptible movement, until the gun goes off. Zero takeup. Same for many bolt action rifle triggers.

A good 1911 trigger does have takeup, but clearly not all single action triggers do. Am interested in further feedback on the Trigger Tech trigger, as it sounds like a good 1911 trigger, some light takeup and quick reset. What I do not like on the Geislle triggers is the long reset.

Mark

Jack and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. A good single stage does not have take up, and a good two stage has a very low resistance pre travel up to a defined wall, followed by the trigger breaking once more pressure is added. Of course, shitty versions of either type blur the lines and introduce confusion to the definitions.