Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP! Bullets tumbling!

ShortBus

Tried two different brands, both jacketed, one JHP. different charge weights and different crimp. 

Not every round tumbled, looks like one of the chambers on the comp is getting struck by a bullet. I can see what almost looks like the grooves from the rifling on the comp. 

compensator will take a .376 aluminum dowel all the way to the barrel. Bullets are .355. 

KKM .355 barrel 2 ports

akai 2 chamber 4 port comp

115 precision delta JHP's 

.375-.378 crimps 

8.6-8.9 powder

1.165 - 1.150 OAL 

(these are the different things I've tried)

i took a bullet and tried to beat it into the grooves with a small hammer and it wouldn't go (hillbilly barrel slugging). 

please halp. Area 6 in 3 weeks and idk what to do. 

New gun to you? No problems before and just started? Is the comp loose? If its new to you and is doing this from the start and it is indeed having comp strikes the comp is either not on right, loose, or really gunked up maybe. If it has been fine and just started then the comp has come loose or is cracked etc.

Newish gun to me. Coated lead didn't tumble but I always swore I could see where it was hitting. Comp has been cleaned with a brass bore brush on n the end of a drill.. no build up! 

No cracks and Incant move the comp by hand. 

Just now, Hi-Power Jack said:

Once the "crimp" (debelling) is adjusted correctly, there is no

reason to change it.

Over crimping could cause keyholing.

Well i I was having issues so I experimented with different ones..

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Eric means is the slide touching the rear of the comp at the top and therefore pushing it down a little. Make sure there's clearance between comp and slide when it's in battery. 

Ah I see. I'll check it to make sure nothing has changed, but when I checked it before it had plenty of room. 

there are many compensator reamers available. I use mine after each cleaning to make sure there is no build up that can strike the bullet.  They have a guide portion that inserts into the barrel to insure it is correct alignment. 

I put a .390 drill bit in the last and middle section leaving the first st the original ~.378 

still tumblin. Shot some 125 and 115 coated lead, no tumbling but they are definitely hitting the bottom of the comp. I guess the lead is just barley getting skint and not tumbling but the harder jacketed is getting pushed around. 

Only thing i can think of is the comp was originally line bored incorrectly, the threads are jacked up, or something else. I'm gonna take a dremel to the bottom section of the comp and see what it does. It's getting kind of rediculous. This gun had been a serious headache since day one.