Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Extractor in an Aftermarket Barrel?

InvictusManeo

I have an apex extractor in my g34, and used with a total of 3 aftermarket barrels and never had a problem in five years of shooting glocks.  In fact this is the first time I've heard this mentioned.

Thank you for the feedback!  I feel better about pairing the two.  For what it's worth, here is the exact language ATI uses with regard to the barrel:

Designed and tested with Glock factory slide and barrel only.  Due to variations in manufacturing, this extractor is not recommended for use with aftermarket slides and/or barrels.

I've thought about picking up for use with one in a ZEV slide withe a ZEV barrel... but I found someone online who said the slide wouldn't fully close when he used a factory slide and aftermarket barrel (I don't recall the brand of the barrel).  He had to shave down the extractor a bit to get it to fully close.  After I read that in conjunction with Apex's warning, I figured I would stick with the OEM extractor until I started experiencing problems.

I have the Apex extractor installed in my Gen 3 Glock 17 set up for carry optics. The slide is stock Glock and the barrel is a BarSto semi-fit barrel. Everything functions as it should, nothing is hitting, and there is a small amount of clearance between the extractor and the barrel hood which you can see with the barrel and slide in lock-up. I just pulled the slide and checked the clearance with a strong flashlight and the "eye" test. I can see where clearance might be an issue depending on the tolerances of the slide and barrel, but BarSto barrels are generally about as "robust" as you will find. Your experience may vary.