Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading of Ammo in Canada

Orbit

Hi, 

I am really injected now in IPSC and in the process of going to 3 gun this coming summer. I am planning to reload my own ammunition (9mm & 40S&W). To be honest, I don't know how to start reloading in regards to Canadian Law specifically in Ontario, Canada. I am getting different inputs like, i can reload in my basement, some will tell me that it must be in a separate building, some will say you can reload even in your apartment. I don't want to be in trouble with CFO and I am just trying to save some to further my own cause in lieu to financial and availability of ammo at all times.

I am just planning to get a basic Dillon Square Deal B for both Calibers.

My friends, especially Canadians, what I need to do legally?

I can't say as to the Canadian laws regarding reloading, but you would be better served by getting a RL550B...then you can use any dies, and changing calibers between 9mm and 40 S&W takes less than 5 minutes, if you have two tool heads and powder measures. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

you would be better served by getting a RL550B...

I've been using a SDB for decades (possibly centuries) ...   Love it.      :wub:

Do NOT recommend it for .40 Major - you probably need special

sizing die (won't fit in SDB) to prevent bullet setback & KABOOM.

I Never agree with Grumpy - BUT, this one time, he's correct :) 

27 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've been using a SDB for decades (possibly centuries) ...   Love it.      :wub:

Do NOT recommend it for .40 Major - you probably need special

sizing die (won't fit in SDB) to prevent bullet setback & KABOOM.

I Never agree with Grumpy - BUT, this one time, he's correct :) 

I'm correct more than this one time Jack....yer just stubborn.:P

The SDB takes only Dillon's proprietary dies - they don't always resize the

brass sufficiently to ensure a tight hold on the bullet - enough to stop any

bullet setback.

With the 550, you can buy tighter sizing dies, which should prevent

bullet setback.    :) 

Iff you're loading .40 to Major (PF 165+), you will want to use heavy bullets

and fast powder - that's a winning combo, UNLESS you get bullet setback.

Then you can get a KABOOM    :(

I reload ammo in my garage in Canada. Just be smart how you store primers and powder. Mostly not near items that can use fires ie heaters, hot water tanks etc.

Not that big of a deal, just more paperwork to go thru to strat reloading IE powder an primer log you have to fillout when buying them. Other than that should be same as us or Canada, minus the large selection of poly coated bullets available in USA vs Canada. I've actually had easier time finding federal primers in Canada than USA. I ended up exporting 6000 to USA last month.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Here's a link for storage limits.  They're pretty generous, most IPSCers have no problems with these restrictions.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/acquisition-storage-sale/9827

As to what press, I'm a fan of the square deal.  I load 9, 40, 45.  You're limited to I think 8 or 9 different pistol calibers, but it's a progressive press.  It can crank out 100 rounds in under 8 minutes.  The dies have there own thread pattern that's not universal like the other makes, it all depends what you want to load I guess.

Get the 550. It offers a lot more versatility for what you want. I load .38 super, 9mm, .45, .223 and .308 on mine. The square deal is only good for pistol and as pointed out has its limits. We can buy regular dies almost anywhere, but Sq deal dies are harder to come by.

On 2017-03-22 at 8:16 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Dillon won't ship to Ontario?

Actually I'm not sure if dies are covered under ITAR. But if buying at a store I can think of only a couple that might have sq deal dies in stock but regular dies can be found at almost every store plus cabelas and Bass Pro.