Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Earned my First DQ today...

Northlight

Earned my first DQ today at the match in Marysville, WA. This is only my second outdoor match ever.

I'm a southpaw and I started this particular stage from the left hand side....like all the other shooters...and worked my way to the right.  

At the far right end of the stage, the targets were tucked in around the right side of a solid barrier and barrel.  As I leaned around the edge of the barrier to engage these targets I broke the 180....

I knew it the instant I did it and the RO told me to stop.  I knew I was done for the day, but what happened right after was the best part about being part of this sport.

The other members of the squad gave me support, commiseration and good advice.  Another left-handed shooter came up and suggested starting a stage like this one from the right instead of the left (I could have).  He also said, "Think about the stage as being designed by a right-handed person....and how it affects you as a left-hander." A couple other comments included things like, "We've all been there"....and "Nobody's mad at you."

My favorite came from a number of folks who said, "Stop by Dairy Queen on the way home and enjoy a DQ treat."

So I did.

Learned a good lesson today and it encouraged me to keep coming back.

Northlight

IMG_4986.jpg

yep we have to look at each stage from an efficiency standpoint (how to shoot it the fastest) but also from a safety (avoid DQ) standpoint.  especially with reloading, as the gun is usually pointed away from dead downrange so it's easier to break the 180.  glad everyone went home safe and sounds like you handled it real well.

As a fellow lefty I think it'a honestly an advantage. Since only 1/9th of the world's population thinks correctly like you and I do, that means most of the stages you shoot will be designed by someone who thinks backwards.

We get used to convoluted wrist and body manipulations to maneuver through courses of fire which force you to shoot L to R, and to shooting with hard leans around the right end of walls much more quickly. We have to shoot stages "backwards" of the convenient path much more often.

Just learn from it, and get out of the habit of being so close to the wall when you arrive that you have to swing your gun around the corner. It sounds like this is one of many DQs I've seen that involved a newer shooter crowding up on a wall, perhaps?

You ended up being the lucky one!  lol  Right after that stage we ended up waiting an hour to shoot and another hour and half shooting the stage because of activators malfunctioning, two squads backed up behind us, and finishing at 5 PM ;)   I'm glad you took it well and treated yourself.  Great squadding with you today and hope to see you on the range again soon ;) 

You ended up being the lucky one!  lol  Right after that stage we ended up waiting an hour to shoot and another hour and half shooting the stage because of activators malfunctioning, two squads backed up behind us, and finishing at 5 PM [emoji6]   I'm glad you took it well and treated yourself.  Great squadding with you today and hope to see you on the range again soon [emoji6] 

So glad my squad started on that stage lol.. rolled out at 3 PM.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2017 at 8:41 PM, Steve RA said:

If it hasn't happened to someone already, rest assured it will if they continue in the game long enough.

40 years and counting, no DQ. The only thing that fits your statement is death. You don't even have to pay taxes as many demonstrate every day.

• 3 weeks later...