Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once Fired Cracked Brass... Federal???

Gman57

Just Started my Spring reloading for 40 cal. I bought 4000 rds of once fired mixed brass. All looked good at first glance before the reload process. Now I'm finding 5% of the brass with various cracks at 4 stage where the bullet is added. And 90% of the bad brass is Federal.... what gives. I'm using a minimum bell on the case mouth so I know this isn't the issue. This is a PIA and by that time it has a primer and powder. Anyone else have this issue?

Just asking

Gary 

Edited by Gman57

Case mouth splits?  In my experience that's unusual.  I've had one or two do it over the years.  .45 acp brass that was who knows how old and how many times reloaded.  Seen .38 specials do it, too.  Again, old as can be and reloaded an uncounted number of times.

Something funny about having a bunch split like that.  No idea what/why though.

27 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Also, pictures of your belled brass.

Are you lubing the cases?

Take a look at the at the pics... I have reloaded over 35+ years never had an issue like this unless an occasional brass that has had the sh*t loaded out of it or over pressure. My thought was shot from a Glocks with oversized chamber.

Hummmm?

I reload range pick up 40 brass all the time and I have only found one split case.  Thats just crazy to have that many failures.  I wish I had an answer for you but I have never seen or heard of anything that bad.  

53 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I wonder if someone soaked this brass in a very corrosive cleaning agent ...  ??

I thought that to Jack.

I bought this from a commercial brass reseller.  But why just the Federal brass?

2 hours ago, Gman57 said:

But why just the Federal brass?

Because FC brass has thinner case walls. At least that's the case with their 9mm so I assume it carries over to the rest of FC.

9 hours ago, Yeti said:

I think someone used an ammonia based cleaner on that brass. 

It doesn't seem like its normal wear and tear for shooting/reloading.

I'd sort the federal and ask for an exchange from your supplier or just suck it up and buy from some one else next time

I've been reloading for many years and only "once" did a come across a piece of brass like that.  I don't think Glock barrel could have caused such a thing. Very strange indeed. If you happen to find a logical answer, please let us all know. 

Well after 2 emails from Monmouth reloading .com I got nowhere.... so many words too bad too sad. Check this off my list of brass suppliers. As a business owner my job is to provide a product that make my customers happy. And if not happy make it right. This is not so with many companies.

Buyer beware!

Just my .02 worth.

I ordered 5000 .40 from Monmouth at the end of December and didn't get to it for a few months. It looks wonderful but I got so many cracked case mouths when I actually tried reloading it that I decided I am tossing all of it.

Well after several emails from the supplier it's hopeless to get any consumer satisfaction. I was told the I need to remember that I was buying scrap materials. And this is exactly what it is, scrap. My word to anyone dealing with this company is.... good luck and buyer beware. As seen in this thread I'm not the only one with this issue.

Just my .02

G