Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baseplates

ramairthree

This was not a match, this was a class.

the kind of class for young new Green Berets, old Ranger Bn guys, etc.  to get instruction on taking your basic tactical shooting skills and getting better at USPSA.

tons of stages during the two days.

i was shooting a trusty old 92G, with another trusty old 92G in the bag.

i like the old aluminum baseplates, and on the newer easily breakable Beretta plastic floorplates I take them off and replace them with Beretta, NDZ, or Bastion or whatever floorplates.

i had done so on some of the new mags that come with a Wilson Brig Tac and some new magazines just like those I had bought.

i never tested them.

i ran a stage and on reloads two of those mags in a row failed to seat.   Then a third.

they made the magazines with such close tolerance to fitting the gun, a grain of sand or new metal baseplate prevented seating.

always test your stuff first.

Agree 100%. I have one 10 round 9mm 1911 mag that I thought I tested thoroughly. Took it to the range, shot from full to slide lock multiple times with no issues. Reload with it in dry fire with a snap cap, no issued.

Take it to the match, load my 1 round from my Barney mag, drop that, throw in this 10 round mag, go to shoot the stage. First round goes off no problem, then a click. Tap-rack-keep shooting, no other problems. Next stage, same thing. Last stage, we were all downloaded to 6 (IDPA match), so no issues. It ended up taking me 4 stages over 2 different matches before I finally realized that it would not seat with 10 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber no matter how hard I tried.