Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions and Feedback on ESP / Backup Open Gun

JRM83

I have an interesting, and possibly stupid for reasons I don't understand yet, solution to several gun "problems" I need to solve. I own two guns for competition - a CK Thunder open for USPSA which is my main sport, and an STI HexTac for IDPA and any random off-match that requires irons. I finally got my wife at least mildly interested in shooting when she discovered a gun that was actually fun to shoot in that same HexTac. I want to build her a pistol with an optic to keep things fun and interesting for her. I would also like a backup gun for USPSA open because in open sometimes stuff happens.

Solution: Build a second upper for the HexTac to run 9 major with a compensator and slide mounted optic.

Advantages: 

Still ESP legal

Optic with minor loads = fun for wife

Switch to backup open gun with an upper swap

Easy loaner gun for that friend who wants to try open

Much cheaper than a third gun

Disadvantages:

Slide-mounted optic 

Small magwell

Currently I am thinking of running a Binary Engineering comp, popple holes, lightening cuts, and a slide mounted deltapoint pro. 

Questions:

Is there a reason this is a really bad idea?

Build suggestions?

Smith suggestions?

Cost or savings ideas? (I am ballparking around $1500 for the complete upper and machining based on no experience whatsoever)

Something else to consider?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Two uppers on one frame isn't always ideal. You want the frame and slide to fit together nicely and with 2 slides you may get some uneven wear. Plenty of people do it with success but I agree a second gun is the better option for not much extra $. 

Two slides are always a great idea.

But in my life I've very seldom used both, usually wind up building another lower within a year.

Dan Bedell. Just built me a new top for my open gun, price in your ball park.

His reputation is without question. IMO

Seems pretty reasonable, and as far as the small magwell issue if you are taking it to a major match as your backup just swap on a larger one. Changing a 2011 magwell takes all of 90 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered the possibility of the frame wearing unevenly with two slides. 

If I could find a used trubor or something similar around the $2k mark that would be a good alternative, but i haven't seen anything that cheap on the classifieds in a while. Although with the current market that is always a possibility.

I will have to shoot Dan an email this week. I have heard nothing but good things.

6 hours ago, JRM83 said:

I will have to shoot Dan an email this week. I have heard nothing but good things.

Tell him Neil C. sent you, he will only charge you double that way! LOL

Hello: Buy a TruBor in 9mm for your wife. Good backup gun for you also. I would also buy a Springfield 1911 9mm single stack for IDPA ESP and also USPSA single stack. That way you will have two new guns and your wife can choose what she likes. Thanks, Eric

Two slides, one frame can be problematic.  Been there; done that.  The problem is usually you cannot find two identical slides.  So one of them has to be looser than the other.  The looser slide "wobbles" on the frame and you start to wear the front of the frame rails.  If you have your second slide machined to match the first and the fit is the same, you should be okay.  That adds cost, because it is more difficult to fit the slide to the frame rather than the other way around.

17 hours ago, JRM83 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered the possibility of the frame wearing unevenly with two slides. 

If I could find a used trubor or something similar around the $2k mark that would be a good alternative, but i haven't seen anything that cheap on the classifieds in a while. Although with the current market that is always a possibility.

turbor has been discontinued so you may find a run out bargain. I seem to remember someone posted recently they picked up a new one for around $2K as a run out deal.

...never miss an opportunity to buy an additional pistol. Hell, buy it and give it to her for her birthday... 2 birds, one stone. Six months down the road you have your backup pistol.

You're welcome.   

On 3/22/2017 at 1:11 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Buy a TruBor in 9mm for your wife. Good backup gun for you also. I would also buy a Springfield 1911 9mm single stack for IDPA ESP and also USPSA single stack. That way you will have two new guns and your wife can choose what she likes. Thanks, Eric

Because then I would have no wife and no Trubor when she takes it with her.

6 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

...never miss an opportunity to buy an additional pistol. Hell, buy it and give it to her for her birthday... 2 birds, one stone. Six months down the road you have your backup pistol.

You're welcome.   

Yeah, that would go over like a lead balloon. The kind of birthday present that ends with me sleeping on my best friend's couch!