Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about switching from 38S to 9mm

Steelix

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched from 38s to nine years ago. 

For me me there was a difference. The nine is more violent. I say that after years shooting one and then years shooting the other. It's subtle, but for me the 38s was softer. Maybe "violent" is too strong a word, harsh maybe?  Ymmv. 

I did up my bullet from 115 to 124 when I went to 9. Both platforms were loaded to 173pf. Maybe the 124gr accounts for the perceived increased punch in my hand with the 9. 

Dot never left the lense of the cmore with the 38s shooting 115's. Now back then I was just starting and made it to B class with the 38s.  With the 9, I get a bit more dot movement, but improvement in my grip has brought that under control for the most part. I've run the 9 into master class. If I'd practice a bit it'd be no worries picking up GM with it. Either chambering won't hold you back. It is a choice of your preference really. 

I believe that there are a lot more powders that can push the nine safely now, maybe experimenting would soften the violence. 

I switched to to save time and money,...I detest picking up brass. I'd rather spend that time deciding and thinking about what's next or BSing with friends. Don't know that the 9 saved me much anyway. 

I dont shoot as much anymore, but often think I'd like to have a 38 again for when the bug strikes. If money and time picking up brass was not a problem.......go 38. 

IMHO

Edited by Chris iliff

Thanks for all the support, my decision has been made. Based on how much I shoot and where I shoot. I shoot most of the time indoors only a hand full of matchs outside. I talked to a lot of open shooters in my club for there feed back. And I'm staying with 38sc.  I'm still getting a CK arms gun, it's been picked out and now just waiting for it.  

Great post from Chris. 

I too don't think there's any big disadvantage to 9 major. 

I just prefer 38sc. 

Its a lot nicer to load as I never get crimped primers and don't have to deal with a tapered case. 

It seems to run and feed and eject just a little better. 

It does give a slightly wider choice of powder, bullet and oal combos. 

It is more expensive. But it's not so expensive that it limits my enjoyment or makes me want to shoot less. 

I would estimate at practice I lose less than 5% of my brass. At most matches I'd say I lose less than 20%. 

In all I get to load my 38sc more than 10 times and many more than 15 times. By then the cost is pretty insignificant. 

If I wanted to save money I could switch from jhp/cmj to coated lead. Or from fed srp to s&b. Or from vv3n38 to wac. 

But I enjoy using those components so I have no plans to change for now. 

theres nothing wrong with 9mm but I enjoy super comp. I think you will too. :)

• 4 months later...