Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about switching from 38S to 9mm

Steelix

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a CK Arms Hardcore Open 9 Major and I load 115gr Montana Gold JHP's to 1.165-70 without any issues.  I have also shot BBI 125gr bullets loaded to the same length without any issues also.

Edited by S&W686

On 3/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, balmo said:

I bought a CK Arms Thunder about a year ago and load to 1.160 OAL with PD JHP no problems. When new, I could only plunk at 1.145. After a few thousand rounds, I tried 1.160 and it fits the barrel. 

Same here, my CK Thunder is about a year and a half old.

Im loading either Montana Gold or Precision Delta JHP at 1.160, very accurate, no issues. The HARD plated Extreme RN are just not accurate, it's not worth the $5~$8 savings in price per thousand.

As for powders, I use SIL, AutoComp, HS-6 and 3n37 in order of preference. Haven't tried the CFE Pistol yet because I have tons of the others, and they seem to work great for me as well as other 9major guys.

I shoot range brass, but I go through it 100% to make sure it's not stepped brass, I have blown a few of those apart and it's not fun taking the ring out of the chamber. I don't check "headstamps" I just look at all my brass (inside) under a bright light and discard any of that stepped crap.

I typically find 3 or 4 out of every 500 pieces.

Also, I don't mark the brass, just shoot and release, I only pick up brass from practice session, typically I come back with more than I shoot...lol :D

Yes 10gr of A7 does sound a lot. I know my old gun Para 38s will not feed JHP that good as the round hits the middle of the ramp and stops, but feeds FMJ just fine. Yes I do get lead build up in the comp.  My new gun all I'm planning on shooting is Precision Deltas JHP. I'm still on the fence about 9mm as all I ever shot was 38s and it's so easy to load and they shoot soft. I heard 9mm is more of a snap to it. Going to ask one of the guys this week at match if I can try his 9mm just to get a feel for it. 

The Everglades JHPs feed in my gun significantly better than the PDs. They are essentially a RN profile JHP.

Also, they are super duper accurate.

39 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

The Everglades JHPs feed in my gun significantly better than the PDs. They are essentially a RN profile JHP.

Also, they are super duper accurate.

Those do look nice . If they didn't cost more than pd I'd give them a try.

Those do look nice . If they didn't cost more than pd I'd give them a try.

At case quantity they are only .00225 more expensive than PD, and .004 cheaper than MG. But a better profile than either, and in my measuring they are more consistent in weight and length than either MG or PD. JMHO 

ETA: to put that in perspective, the cost difference between a case of PD and EG is 9 bucks haha. 340 vs 349.

On 3/22/2017 at 0:49 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Wow!  That's a lot of powder for a 9mm case...

I've never loaded Accurate #7, but most of the powders I load in a 9mm case get pretty full around 8.5 grains...  Is #7 extremely fine or super dense or something?

A7 is Super fine and very dense powder, not my powder of choice for 9mm major but I have run it! 10.0gr is pretty common and safe load for 115gr major. My choice is HS6 or SP2 for 9 major! 

This was my 38 super load for years 11.8 grains of AA 7 under a 115 Zero HP 

? Gooldylocks,,do you run 115 gr Bullets ?
what powder 

8.9 of HS6 gets me about 175ish, out of this lot. My previous lot was about 9.1, and the lot before that was like 8.4. But from about 8.4-9ish should generally get you there depending on your barrel with HS6 in my experience.

At case quantity they are only .00225 more expensive than PD, and the same price as MG. But a better profile than either, and in my measuring they are more consistent in weight and length than either MG or PD. JMHO

ETA: to put that in perspective, the cost difference between a case of PD and EG/MG is 9 bucks haha. 340 vs 349/350

$420 for 3750! That's a lot more than MG.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

Oh gotcha.... but their 115's cost the same as MG's 124's.

I think you're still confused. 

4000 Everglades 115 jhp $349

4000 mg 115 jhp $365

Edited by Garmil

I think you're still confused. 

4000 Everglades 115 jhp $349

4000 mg 115 jhp $365

I am confused lol

I was thinking 124g prices

3750 MG's jhp $360
3750 EG's jhp $422

You are confused because you are looking at the wrong bullets. You have to look at the V2 ones, they are cheaper AND the best profile available. The "old style" JHPs are listed as much more money on the website. 85 dollars more per case in 115gr, to be exact

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk