Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Naalehu, Hawaii

nuidad

Shooting my second match in HI (Big Island Practical Shooters) tomorrow and heading for Oahu on the 31st to shoot two matches at Koko Head Shooting Complex (Mid Pacific Pistol League and Hawaii Practical Shooters).  Very new to practical shooting...started in 2014 at age 64.  Going to take the CRO class in CA in July so I have some limited RO experience.  Tomorrow will be my 82nd IPSC match.  Just discovered this forum and am very excited about what I've been reading.  Not a lot of USPSA shooters on the Big Island (around 15 or 20 active shooters, I'm guessing) so networking is limited.  Hoping this forum will keep me in touch with the issues and I will be happy to share what I learn about clubs and matches in HI.

Thanks for the Forum

8 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Welcome aboard :)

Whatja shootin'?

Sarge, last time I was in Hawaii, getting from island to island was expensive,

but they were talking about a hydrofoil service ...

On my budget I'd have to row it! :)

The only way to travel from the Big Island (Hawaii Island) is by plane.  There are a lot of deals to be had but I'm guessing round trip will usually be around $150 (I paid $144).  No hydrofoils due to the effect on the marine mammals.  Then there's hotel, transportation, and food...+ match costs.  I'm figuring around $600, so I won't be doing it too often.  I figured I'd do two matches the first time and get the story from the locals.

I'm going to shoot Limited 10 for the first time.  They don't offer Limited here, which I usually shoot.  I'm a Beretta shooter and I'll be shooting my new M9A3.

Only one match under my belt at this time but it was very fun and well managed.  The competitors are awesome.  We had 12 shooters and everyone was very welcoming and helpful.  A lot of new gun laws and a totally different gun culture than I'm used to.  I was a bit freaked out at first but after that match, I feel very much at home.  We shot in the jungle...literally.  I expected to see Tarzan swing out of the trees.