Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using a laser?

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Either your Vortex is a LOT brighter than my laser - or the sun was out but the targets were in the shade.

If bright sunshine is shining directly onto the target, my dot fades badly, but if the targets are shaded, I can still see the dot.   :) 

Not real sure what your comments imply. But I rarely turn my Vortex on because the sights are etched into the reticle making it very easy to pick up the laser. If your attempting this with a $59 laser, been there, they do not work. Take a look at Crimson Trace............

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but I think you're talking about a red dot, not a laser.

I'm trying to imply that if the sun is out, but the target is in the shade, I

can pick up my laser sight    ....     BUT, if the sun is out and shining

directly onto the target, the sun washes out the laser "dot".

Can you put the laser on for certain stages where it might work and then remove it for others? Thinking of trying one, but not sure I would want it one for the whole match. Use a good QD mount that will retain zero.

I am partially blind in my right eye so weak hand classifiers and hard right leans are killing me.

gerritm

Most commercially available lasers are pretty darn small so, if it were me, I would just leave it and activate the laser on a stage you want it, keep it off if you don't, but you could definitely mount on a quick detach if you wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I may be wrong, but I think you're talking about a red dot, not a laser.

I'm trying to imply that if the sun is out, but the target is in the shade, I

can pick up my laser sight    ....     BUT, if the sun is out and shining

directly onto the target, the sun washes out the laser "dot".

Take a look at a Crimson Trace 206 laser. Visible out to 35yds on a bright day with sunlight on the target.

Cold days also not good for laser, some of us used for night match and we were all failing between 30-40 degrees while no issue that temp for a red dot optic.

In daylight green seems better/further than red, but highly dependent on lighting conditions and distance to target how easy to see / fast to pick up.
You need to practice it to use instead of weak hand mount for hard 'wrong side' leans. 
I'm leaving green lasers on my PCC for a bit - definitely fun/fast for close in point shoot/hosing and medium distance plate racks.

My son had a TLR-2 red laser/flashlight combo for his pistol for night matches. I installed it and went out late yesterday afternoon to do some chrono & testing. Full sunlight. Started to wash out at about 10 yards. Got it zeroed and am going to shoot a LVL II match Saturday with it. Supposed to be overcast with chance of rain. I am going to order A Crimson Trace 206 green laser, but it will not be here in time. I will let you all know how it works. Will only shoot it on the right hand leans and weak hand shots.

Hope no one goes "cat crazy" on me.

gerritm

On 4/25/2017 at 8:48 PM, UFO said:

Take a look at a Crimson Trace 206 laser. Visible out to 35yds on a bright day with sunlight on the target.

That is the one I am trying, Used it first time in a match yesterday.  I think it is useful on certain targets and light levels, It is extremely small and low profile.  I hit a sale price of $139 with a $50 rebate so @ $89 ea the 2 I ordered were a good deal for my 2 MPX's. 

2 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

That is the one I am trying, Used it first time in a match yesterday.  I think it is useful on certain targets and light levels, It is extremely small and low profile.  I hit a sale price of $139 with a $50 rebate so @ $89 ea the 2 I ordered were a good deal for my 2 MPX's. 

That is the device that Foley used at Area 2...

So I tried the TLR 2 red laser in a match and no bueno. It was overcast  and laser dot was way too small even up close to pick up fast enough. The 206 showed up and the green laser dot is definetly brighter and larger. See what happens next match.

gerritm

19 hours ago, davel280 said:

So, I forgot to turn my C-more off and killed the battery. Smooth move right!! Discovered this at make ready. Turned the 206 on and shot the stage with the laser, saved my bacon. I think it's staying on the Sig. 

Dave

Amazing how well they work! Today, at our match, they had a little side challenge going on with a clay pigeon at 25yds. Draw and 1 shot to see who could hit it, and be the fastest. The fastest pistol was 1.74 sec. I had to start with stock on belt. Put the laser on the clay, at the buzzer took off the safety and pulled the trigger... .53sec had a good view of the laser. Crimson Trace 206 FTW 

I didn't get a chance to shoot the PCC this weekend in a match, shot my open pistol instead,  but zeroed the green CT 206 @ 20yards in the bright Texas sunshine and could see it with no problem. At the match had a classifier and after all shot, took the PCC out to see what the laser would do and it was very visible again in a perfect bright day. Looking forward to trying in in a match.

gerritm

I have a Crimson Trace 206 Green laser that I use on my Scorpion.  It is great for IDPA, especially indoors.  I originally got it for those hard corners And think it's worth the money.  It has also saved me on those stages where you're basically falling out of bounds in USPSA.   For long shots in the sunlight it's hard to pick up but it does have its uses. I don't know if Crimson trace still has the rebate going on but you can find them for pretty good price if so. 

Oh, and being a spectator it's a lot of fun seeing where people are on targets when they pull the trigger. 

Video of it in use at a USPSA match. There is a hard corner around a barrel that I couldn't get a good cheek weld. Saved some time. 

Edited by CookieTheSwede
Added video.

A red laser is a no go in almost any daylight. Close in you can pick it out, but get more than 10 yards away and it's hard or impossible. 

A green laser is visible during the day but on a bright day it's still very hard to pick out past 15 yards or so. Definitely not faster than an optic... In most situations.

Now, low light or no light? It's pretty cool! I love taking a green laser out on a foggy night and seeing a star wars death beam for miles.

• 1 month later...

I have shot some indoor matches with a laser on both pistol and rifle. With the laser on and people watching the laser but with me shooting with sights or dot on rifle they said they could not see the laser track very good on the targets. I had to slow down by many seconds to shoot with the laser. much much slower process. To me it's like watching someone shoot steel that waits for steel reaction before moving to the next target.