Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to put the 2nd spring on Aftec extractor?

balmo

Nearing 3k on my CK Arms Thunder open. I had 2 FTE during practice today. MBX mag spring just recently installed. Should I be thinking of putting in the second spring on my Aftec extractor. Thank you.

Funny you mention this. I have a new top end with an aftec and 1 spring and ~2500 rounds. I've been getting FTE all of a sudden. I ordered a pack of springs from Dawson ($5) and plan to run the gun again Sunday. Hoping this fixes it. 

Soon as possible. But do note that loads that generate higher peak pressures have a greater likelihood of creating extraction problems among other things. My CK never left a piece of brass in the gun including the whole time I ran one spring. 

Is there a reason you're only running one spring.. I've ran 2 springs out of a Bedell and an Akai.. with very little to any issues.  

Curious.. because I'm building a new 9 major and am always looking for secret sauce.  

Thx..

Aftec reccomend just running the rear spring for the first few thousand rounds as 2 brand new springs can create too much tension. 

After that first few thou you take the (now weaker) rear spring and put it in the front hole and add a new spring to the rear. You then repeat this process every 5,000 or so (throw out front spring, move back to the front and new one in the back). They say doing 2 new springs can make it too tight. 

If it works then that's fine. A friend of mine had not replaced his springs in 10k rounds and started having fte's. He moved back spring to front and I gave him a new spring for the back (which was noticeably longer than his old ones) and it's run fine since. 

So if it it works I say just leave it. Do the spring rotation thing next time. 

I run 38 super comp and have always used two springs from the start and with no issues.  You can compress the springs every so slightly with small pliers and use both springs then slide the round up the breach face and check tension.

11 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

If it works then that's fine. A friend of mine had not replaced his springs in 10k rounds and started having fte's. He moved back spring to front and I gave him a new spring for the back (which was noticeably longer than his old ones) and it's run fine since. 

So if it it works I say just leave it. Do the spring rotation thing next time. 

I ran 300 rounds with the two new springs an worked 100%. But I did hold one to the used an abused ones. Thank u

My FGW Open build shipped with a sheet that said to run 1 spring in the Aftec for the 1st 5,000 rounds. I went about 6,000 and then started experiencing a somewhat erratic ejection pattern (no failures, but the brass was being kicked all over the place with no consistency). Moved the original spring to the front and put a fresh spring in the rear and it's 100%.