Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Mags Sticking in PT EVO Grip

cj36d

Heard lots of issues with folks having MBX mags drop unexpectedly from PT EVO grips...I've had the opposite issue where one or two of my MBX mags seem to be binding in my Evo grip and not dropping free.  Anyone else had this?  Never experienced this in my SV Grip... Any tuning fixes out there?

On 3/17/2017 at 5:46 PM, cj36d said:

Heard lots of issues with folks having MBX mags drop unexpectedly from PT EVO grips...I've had the opposite issue where one or two of my MBX mags seem to be binding in my Evo grip and not dropping free.  Anyone else had this?  Never experienced this in my SV Grip... Any tuning fixes out there?

No issues with MBX or even STI mags sticking in my Evo grip. Have you made sure your mags/ bullets aren't hitting your ejector and causing issues? 

Thanks for all the feedback.  Accu9, I have verified no issues with bullet interference, I have several other MBX mags that have no issues as well...after watching Adams video, looks like I need to do a little tweaking, there are a couple of small bulges that need to be worked out.  Thanks again.

I've got one big stick that doesn't drop free that I had to tap in a few places. 

The one thing I've noticed is when doing a mag change, if the mag is at a 45 or so angle rotated to the opening, it will wedge in to one of the front grooves cut inside the grip.  What I mean by grooves are on the front, there is the ramp area in the center and then the corners have a ramped rounded cut which creates a nice area to wedge the mag tight if you don't come straight in with it.  I may take a dremel here to try and open this up a bit to keep it from happening. Never had this with plastic grips. 

10 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

I've got one big stick that doesn't drop free that I had to tap in a few places. 

The one thing I've noticed is when doing a mag change, if the mag is at a 45 or so angle rotated to the opening, it will wedge in to one of the front grooves cut inside the grip.  What I mean by grooves are on the front, there is the ramp area in the center and then the corners have a ramped rounded cut which creates a nice area to wedge the mag tight if you don't come straight in with it.  I may take a dremel here to try and open this up a bit to keep it from happening. Never had this with plastic grips. 

This is the most frustrating thing and it happens to me several times per day when dryfiring. Super annoying! First metal grip I have is the Evo and I assumed that all the metal grips did this. I have also thought about taking a dremel to the grip to round things off. The design is a perfect recipe for this disaster. I noticed with STI mags it happens more often than MBX Due to the shape of the mag. I have thought about changing entirely over to MBX mags to lessen the chance of this happening. I can throw mags into a plastic grip all day but go to the steel grip and wedge them in there far too frequently. Let me know If you do ever attack the grip with a dremel. I am reluctant to do this because my grip is finished DLC Black and would rather have the coating on there instead of exposed metal.

The problem isn't the grip as much as it is the grip is revealing that we're being sloppy with the mag and either over- or under-rotating it.  The plastic mags are more flexible and more forgiving of sloppy style.  With some dedicated practice you should be slamming them right in there.  (Imagine the same issue in a stock 1911 or CZ 75, but folks can get them in that small, rectangular hole pretty fast.)

16 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

Same issue with SV Grips.  Just take some practice like said above.  Burkett reloads help with this.  I point the magwell at my magpouch and have ingrained the correct angle to bring the mag to the gun.  It is super frustrating at first.  

35 minutes ago, echotango said:

Same issue. Worked on one grip so far and big difference. Hard to tell in pic.  Rounded the front and removed the side edges. 

I'm going to do this tonight.  I need to fit the back of the grip to magwell anyway.  It may show I don't rotate the mag completely everytime, but that is not something I'm willing to go through trying to earn a GM card. I've never owned CZ/Tangfo but my 1911 reloads never seemed to be an issue.  I did the burkett reload drill to work my wrist to turn the gun more and insert the mag with a more aligned angle once I realized what was going on, but working the grip interior is just a sure bet to keep it all smooth. 

2 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I guess there is no down side to working the grip?  Other then messing up a $650 grip of course.  May ask my smith.

Meh, $650 grip..... $4,000 blaster. What's the difference.  20min total tonight with a dremel blending the inside and matching the grip to my Dawson magwell. Then finishing with some high grit files and sandpaper.   The mag can still be caught at an angle but the error room on the angle has been improved for reloads. 

14 hours ago, echotango said:

Same issue. Worked on one grip so far and big difference. Hard to tell in pic.  Rounded the front and removed the side edges. 

20170330_143340.png

Looking at this picture it looks like you did a very good job. This is exactly what I envisioned the end product to look like but have yet to have the balls to try it. I have a dremel and some beefy files but I think I need to pick up some more precise files and sand paper to make mine look anything close to yours.