Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BCG?? BHW Barrel Profile?? NEED HELP!!!

archmanEd

Backstory,

I have been shooting USPSA Production. Yeah, the saying is true, you never stop there...

I have shot ARs a few times in the range, but I actually never own one.

I want an AR and I decided to build one. 

Problem,

This is a platform/build for some range time and possibly for 3Gun in near future after practices.

After much research, I have already decided on most parts.

However, Barrel profile and BCG are two things I cannot decide.

I know JP low mass is great, but the price seems very steep considering purchasing with their buffer set. I also heard it requires more maintenance than normal ones. Since I may not do a match very soon. Is it a good idea to get low mass for practicing?

Some people recommended FailZero nickel boron BCG, but I heard the Failzero has a bad fit in general. 

Some people suggested BCM...I am just overwhelmed by the choices...

What BCG do you guys recommend? Should I go all in for a Low mass in the beginning? or just spend less on something reliable to practice more? If so, what is your favourite? 

Another thing is about the barrel, I am solid sold by BlackHoleWeaponry, and considering their 18" 1:7, they have a NatiionalMatch profile, Standard, and Light. Anyone have any experience with such profiles? I have never heard of NationalMatch Profile

Here are some stuff on my list

Seekins billet set

PSA LPK

Elf 3gun trigger

18" 1:7 BHW barrel (profile?)

BCG (dont know)

Sentry7 gas block (is it an overkill?)

Magpul moe grip

Sorry for the long post...

And here is a 'render' of my build scheme

GF8PU8v.jpg

You'll be happy with a BHW barrel, but don't get the NM if your planning on trying 3 gun. Its quite heavy. Even the standard might be a bit heavy, depending on your physical build.

JP steel LMOS carriers are great, zero maintenance and just as reliable as anything else in a properly set up system. The buffer (both standard low mass and SCS) are over rated and overpriced in my opinion. They are high quality and do their job but the performance wasn't any better than a gutted buffer when I fiddled with them a while back.

And don't let the old farts on the BHW forum talk you out of a rifle length gas system on an 18" barrel, you'll eventually regret it if you get a mid length and then go balls deep in 3 gun.

Edited by TonytheTiger

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

You'll be happy with a BHW barrel, but don't get the NM if your planning on trying 3 gun. Its quite heavy. Even the standard might be a bit heavy, depending on your physical build.

JP steel LMOS carriers are great, zero maintenance and just as reliable as anything else in a properly set up system. The buffer (both standard low mass and SCS) are over rated and overpriced in my opinion. They are high quality and do their job but the performance wasn't any better than a gutted buffer when I fiddled with them a while back.

And don't let the old farts on the BHW forum talk you out of a rifle length gas system on an 18" barrel, you'll eventually regret it if you get a mid length and then go balls deep in 3 gun.

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely stick to the rifle length.

So you suggest going all in for a JP LMOS and just standard normal buffer? Does the buffer spring need to be stronger or lighter than standard to tune the JP LMOS? I assume an adjustable gas block is necessary for a LMOS, then is there any adj gas block you would recommend? 

My rifles currently have either the Taccom buffer or a regular buffer with all the weights taken out. I tested the JP extra power spring vs a standard spring vs the TTI light spring and ended up going with the lightest. 

And you assume correctly, all these lightweight parts without adjusting the gas down to match it will make for a very unhappy system.

Right now I'm of the mindset that buying a $30 AGB and considering it a disposable next time I go to tune a new load or part is easier than buying a $100 AGB and being pissed when it's seized up. I have a few gas blocks at the extreme ends of the price spectrum, and once you tune them they're all the same.

Edited by TonytheTiger