Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newby mag pouch question.

calebj06

Ok so another new guy here. I shot my first local action pistol match a couple weeks ago and I'm hooked. Uspsa match is coming up in a few weeks and I need some new gear. 

First match I only had 3 mags. First stage I ever shot I dropped the last steel target on my very last round!!!  Not gonna do that again!  

So I picked up a couple more mags. But now I need some mag carriers.  The only thing I have right now is a cheap double mag paddle holster. It's ok but I have quickly seen that the paddle will take up entirely too much space for me to run 2 of these setups. 

So im looking for recommendations on singles. I'm thinking belt style. Right now I'm running a 1.5" leather gun belt but will eventually get a competition style belt like a double alpha or something (im leaning quickly here!!). 

As as far as cost, I don't wanna go crazy, but I don't wanna waste my money. I can already see that my cheap paddle double holster will go bye bye quickly.  I don't wanna spend $40 for each mag holster, but $20 would probably be ok 

So fire away guys. I've simply gotta have something before my next match and don't wanna waste my money again. 

Thanks

caleb. 

4 hours ago, js1130146 said:

What division are you shooting in?

While I don't know all the rules and what not yet, I think I will be shooting production and later be shooting carry optics once I get a dot for my MOS

4 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

I actually saw those a couple couple days ago. It's tempting. I just didn't wanna waste my money if they were junk. I was figuring they weee made for airsoft. 

How long int have you had them?  If they only last 2 years and the others will last 10 then they really aren't a deal 

12 minutes ago, calebj06 said:

While I don't know all the rules and what not yet, I think I will be shooting production and later be shooting carry optics once I get a dot for my MOS

Ah, Well some are better or worse (and sometimes not legal) depending on what division you plan on shooting. Lots of folks like the Ghost 360 or CR Speed. How much room you have on your belt can limit you somewhat as well, especially in Single Stack and Production.

I'm a fan of the DAA racers and/or Safariland 771/773s.

I'm a fan of the buy once and cry once mentality... I was in your boat back in January... I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get my competition rig, and went with DAA racers, and couldn't be happier... I would say if you can make do with what you have or possibly even borrow a mag pouch or 2 do that and buy your gear only once

my first USPSA match th match director set me up with a guy that let me borrow an XD double mag pouch to get me through. Just my 2cents

8 hours ago, calebj06 said:

I actually saw those a couple couple days ago. It's tempting. I just didn't wanna waste my money if they were junk. I was figuring they weee made for airsoft. 

How long int have you had them?  If they only last 2 years and the others will last 10 then they really aren't a deal 

I've been using them for a year so far, and they've been excellent. A little bit of blue loctite on all screws once you get them set up on your belt how you like, and they work great. They come with inserts that will allow them to work with pretty much any mag on the market. 

I started with a couple uncle mikes Double mag holsters for a few months until I made sure I found something I liked. I then got a Black Scorpion belt and Ghost pouches. I moved to the CR Speed pouches after a bit. I liked them better, and still use them for Single stack and Production rigs. 

Any of the belts are a good choice. Don't feel like you have to get a CR belt if you buy the CR pouches. 

I have the Ghost 360 just got them and started mounting them on my belt. I haven't decided on how many (bought plenty) or what position just so far doing some dry fire practice with three mounted on my belt. What I would say about them is they will work and do what I want them to do and they are (it seems) the least expensive competition worthy option. But for me I don't expect to shoot in a whole lot of uspsa production matches at least this year so I don't feel that having the top of the line is necessary but I do want something that will do the job. The Ghost 360 is way better than what I've used in the past, a couple of uncle mikes double paddle pouches. But the DAA racers  are nicer, but more expensive.

I do have, on some of my other rigs, DAA race master holsters and my production holster is a DAA kydex and for sure they are very high quality. But also expensive. I live about 20 miles from competitive edge dynamics and when I buy from them I call in, pay with cc then drive over and pick it up, instant gratification! Not sure that is something to brag about!

So I guess my contribution to this discussion is get the best you can possibly afford after factoring just how serious you intend to get with the sport. I think you would be better served waiting a few weeks to get the best for your intended participation in this activity.

As far as mounting on your leather belt personally I cannot see any reason why not. But, having a good stiff competition belt is really I think important. I know it is an expense but it is worth it if you ask me. I have a nice high quality 1.5" double thick leather carry belt but it isn't (at least mine) anywhere as stable as my competition belt especially when it's loaded with a lot of ammo.

I don't know if I'm helping or not.

Edited by firewood

So will any of these work on my current leather gun belt?

I use the ghost 360's on my 1.75" hsgi riggers belt for idpa style belts. But these ghost pouches aren't meant for loop thru belts as they are screwed tight rather than clip on or over (ie teklok). So you'd have to remove the pouches inorder to remove your belt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, bsand said:

I use the ghost 360's on my 1.75" hsgi riggers belt for idpa style belts. But these ghost pouches aren't meant for loop thru belts as they are screwed tight rather than clip on or over (ie teklok). So you'd have to remove the pouches inorder to remove your belt.

Good point

6 hours ago, bsand said:

Very good point. I like the look of them and the function but I think i might have to pass on this type until I get a comp belt....

which means its time to go look for a belt. 

Are there used ones that show up very often? 

Looks like I might just take the plunge. 

The Shooters Connection (.com) belt is only $40 and absolutely worth the $$$.

I've shot with both the higher priced CR Speed and DAA belts, and don't feel like I'm giving up more than 5-10% of the utility of either of the name brand ones.

I also highly recommend the Ghost 360 pouches. They accommodate Glock, Tanfoglio, and M&P magazines without changing a thing: they have two leaf springs which apply pressure on the magazine in order to retain it.

They're also the best deal going on cost.

When it comes to a holster setup, I don't think you can beat the BOSS hanger and blade tech holster pouch setup in Production. Unless you splurge and put an even stiffer Red Hill Tactical double-thick holster body on that hanger.

Here it all is as a package, though you can save even more $$$ by using a Shooters Connection belt with this:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm also considering something like the tek lok pouches from blade tec. 

Any comaprison?? 

Im also worried about being able to use this stuff in any match. Right now I can't set up a belt for every different situation. 

So so if I go the comp belt and ghost mags then I'm screwed for idpa right?? 

Ugh. I'm so new it hurts!!  Lol. 

Well you can still use the ghost 360s on a loop thru belt for idpa. It's actually what I do for my clubs idpa style matches. Or you could go blade tech tech Lok ones but they are usually specific to a type of magazine.

I recently switched from Glock to CZ, the pouches for my Glock were useless for my Cz. Had I just bought the ghosts I would have saved 90$, as the ghosts can accommodate both.

1 hour ago, bsand said:

Well you can still use the ghost 360s on a loop thru belt for idpa. It's actually what I do for my clubs idpa style matches. Or you could go blade tech tech Lok ones but they are usually specific to a type of magazine.

I recently switched from Glock to CZ, the pouches for my Glock were useless for my Cz. Had I just bought the ghosts I would have saved 90$, as the ghosts can accommodate both.

How do you put them on a loop through belt. If it can be done without too much hassle I'll have my answer and know what I'm buyinhI'm buying 

Oh it's not really idpa that I'm worried about them going on the belt for, it the fact that I don't own a double belt yet so anything I use them for will be on my leather gun belt for now. 

Anyone used the midway USA competition belt???

Calebj06, if I were you I'd seriously considering getting Ben stoegers belt kit. You get a double alpha belt, 5 ghost 360s, blade tech or comptac holster along with the boss hanger for 270.

I've got over that for my kit I pieced together and still am 1 pouch down

140$ 4 ghost pouches + belt
60$ comptac holster
55$ boss hanger

Then various shipping and taxes (bought some locally)