Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eve of First Match

90lxracer

As I sit here and kind of going over my gear, chamber checking the rounds for tomorrow. I am ready to have a good time punching holes in targets. 

I do have a question.. It's division.. I have a glock 34 for now. I do have a mag well for it, but beyond that it's stock. Would it make more sense to leave it on there.. and load up the mags and shoot limited minor. OR just take the magwell off.. load up 10 per mag and shoot production? 

I have no delusion that this will be nothing more than going out and getting a feel for the process. But I've been told that going limited will take some of the dynamics out of it be being able to load to max capacity and just go for it and not worry too much about reloads. 

Since this is just a exercise, and test to see how things go.. why not work the reloads in "game conditions"? 

I typically encourage new shooters to shoot Limited minor for their first match. There's only one reload to remember in most cases.

Then, if you want to stick with the venerable and terrific 34, pack a few more mag pouches and mags (you'll need 5-6 mags on your belt for Production) and switch to Production.

Production is my favorite division. It's literally the only one I've ever shot. But that many reloads can be frustrating for a total novice. Especially when they mess up and shoot the gun dry four times per stage.

Good luck on your first match.. I'm with the other guys, shoot limited minor at least for a couple matches then make a decision... Hell, I'll have my classification shooting limited minor next weekend. Then it's off to production before the state championships in June. Let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, 90lxracer said:

limited minor it is.. makes it easy.

finished up some dry fire stuff.. some reloads. .. now it's time to get ready for a day of fun. 

Ask one of the better shooters on your squad to critique your draw and load in the safe area at some point. They're usually happy to do so, and the sooner you learn an efficient technique the less you'll practice poor ones.

Also, learn to grip the gun EXTREMELY HARD with the weak hand early on when changes are easy to make permanent, when dry firing shortly after the match is over.

Good luck tomorrow! Just go to have fun and not expecting to be fast.

Don't worry about shooting Minor - I shot 9mm minor in

Limited for ten years - I was never a contender, just

having an absolute blast.

If you ever get real serious about winning, then you will

think about shooting something else.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is - safety - go a little

slower than you normall do - ignore those silly people

who shoot really fast (even if they seem to be hitting

the target regularly) - shoot the way YOU feel comfortable

and be safe - no DQ's.

Have fun ...