Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for Physical Therapists

We used to have a couple Enos members that where PTs, so I thought I'd throw this out there for a possible answer.  

A couple weeks ago, while shooting a 2gun match, I pulled, strained or tore my right achilles tendon.  I didn't feel in happen at the time, but it aggravated me a little bit for a week or so.  Then, last Money night, I shot an IDPA match thinking I was good to go.  The injury hadn't caused me to miss any gym time, so whats a little IDPA gonna hurt.  Well, once again, I didn't feel it happen, but something did happen during the first stage and I was in so much pain, I couldn't tape and I went home after the 2nd stage.

I know the easy answer is to go to the Dr., but I'd rather not spend all the time and money if this thing is going to go away.  I've tried Advil, Alleave and some old Mobic I had.  It's bearable, but no where close to right and I wouldn't even think about running.

Anybody had a similar injury?  Oh and if it matter, there has been absolutely no swelling or discoloration.  Just moderate  to severe pain.

Not a PT but medically trained.

One question: Been on any antibiotics recently?

If you've actually torn your AC you need to get that looked at ASAP.  If it's torn/ruptured, surgery is the only option.

Note: the swelling curve gets better after 48 hours.  "A couple of weeks ago" is a pretty good indicator, I'm sorry to say...

2 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Not a PT but medically trained.

One question: Been on any antibiotics recently?

If you've actually torn your AC you need to get that looked at ASAP.  If it's torn/ruptured, surgery is the only option.

Note: the swelling curve gets better after 48 hours.  "A couple of weeks ago" is a pretty good indicator, I'm sorry to say...

Heavy dose of antibiotics last summer, but nothing recently.  I've torn my ACL and articulate cartilage, so I'm "pretty sure" it isn't torn.  With that said, if it doesn't improve, and I'm still hobbling around in another week.......I will have to see the Doc.

13 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Heavy dose of antibiotics last summer, but nothing recently.  I've torn my ACL and articulate cartilage, so I'm "pretty sure" it isn't torn.  With that said, if it doesn't improve, and I'm still hobbling around in another week.......I will have to see the Doc.

Yeah, Achilles tears are one of those things that could be all sorts of degrees.  Tears, ruptures, sprains, etc.  You're not the person I have to lecture on knowing your body or injuries, though.  In all seriousness - the longer you delay evaluation the longer you're delaying a cure. :)

Any proper evaluation of an injury will have to be done hands-on which means ... wait for it ... go to the doctor and see if he thinks a PT eval is called for. I know, I know, but we've all got to do things we'd rather not now and then. If rest, ice, compression and elevation don't help after a couple days (along with over the counter pain killers/anti-inflammatories) then bite the bullet and get to the doctor. Otherwise you could be fighting this thing for quite a while to come and possibly doing some serious damage to yourself. Oh, by the way, the last time I checked I didn't come across any stage instructions that began with "At the tone, hobble to your gun and engage targets as they become visible."