Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie question on 135gr rn bayous

Johrichal

Hey guys im fairly new to reloading for handguns and ordered a few different weights of bayou coated 9mm bullets. I was loading up test loads last night and when I got to the 135gr RNs I couldnt find much data for them. The only thing I could find was a post from Dennis (Im guessing he is affiliated with Bayou bullets as ive seen his name mentioned in several threads about them.) I downloaded his load data PDF and found for a 135gr he was using 3.4-4.0grs of TG with an OAL of 1.150". I loaded up a dummy round at that length and tried the plunk test in the barrel of my SP-01 and it didnt pass. I seated it deeper in small increments and found that the bullet rests on the lands at 1.145" which if im understanding correctly would put my max OAL at around 1.130"

So my question is if i load to 1.130" OAL should I still be ok to start with 3.4gr of TG and work up from there or do you think I should cut it down and start a little lower because the bullet is seated deeper?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but im still trying to wrap my head around this OAL and exactly how much it affects pressures.

Muncie21 is that the OAL you use because thats what will pass the plunk test in your gun or is it because you find it more accurate at a shorter oal? 

Still trying to figure this all out like i said my 135gr rn have to be loaded to 1.130 to fit but i just did some 147gr fp and I could load those all the way down to 1.050 and they fit but I loaded the 147s to 1.115" to be more on the cautious side

Just got back from the range. All my loads shot well with the 147gr 2.7gr of TG at 1.115" being very accurate and a very nice shooting round.

I did notice on most of the brass that i picked up the sides looked burnt. Ill try to upload a picture later. Is this normal when using Titegroup or am i doing something wrong? 

23 hours ago, Johrichal said:

Muncie21 is that the OAL you use because thats what will pass the plunk test in your gun or is it because you find it more accurate at a shorter oal?

I haven't done a lot of OAL testing on this round to see what OAL is preferred by my gun. This is what passed the plunk test and shoots reasonably accurate for me.

Edited by muncie21

3 hours ago, Johrichal said:

Just got back from the range. All my loads shot well with the 147gr 2.7gr of TG at 1.115" being very accurate and a very nice shooting round.

I did notice on most of the brass that i picked up the sides looked burnt. Ill try to upload a picture later. Is this normal when using Titegroup or am i doing something wrong? 

It may mean that the brass isn't expanding enough to seal the chamber and some pressure is blowing back toward the breech.

That MAY mean you should up the charge some BUT check your velocity / Power Factor prior to doing that.

think about sending your barrel out to be reamed (there are several great smith's that ream them so you can load standard to long OAL)

I've loaded Bayou 147's from 1.050 to 1.150 and adjusted charge weight based on chrono results to get 132 PF (my preference for minor loads in my guns)

Haven't shot many 135's (only 2-3000) so won't comment to much on those.

I shoot 124 Bayou's in my open gun at Major PF and in my CO gun at minor, and 147's in the wives production gun obviously at minor PF

OAL is simply based on what your BBL and mags will allow with good function . I prefer .010 shorter than what the bbl is throated for

Jcc7x7 thanks for the advice looks like ill have to go buy a chronograph before going much further. Other than the burn marks the brass is all in good shape so I assume it shouldnt be a problem using it again right? 

I shoot lots of Bayou 135s. I load to 1.100 cause that's the chamber on my 6" gun. My other guns shoot them fine. I load Win 231 to 1010fps average in my main pistol. BTW the same powder charge works fine with 125gr bullets as well. I don't get too concerned with PF. Only shoot plates and SC. Sounds to me like your charge isn't enough to seal the cases in the chamber as well.

Weigh a large random sample of every bullet brand you load before shooting a major with them.

For instance, the 150gr SWC from Bayou consistently weighs 147-147.5 grains.

Agree with you ^^^......Blue Bullets are usually heavier than advertised

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On 3/18/2017 at 5:04 PM, Johrichal said:

In my experience TG burning brass is normal.  TG burns super hot.

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, BillR1 said:

My exact load for my P320s...

I use that same load in an sti open gun I shoot steel challenge with, and I drop a 115gr bullet on it for a sweet soft shooting sub minor steel load.