Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport .40 recoil spring help

Hi_Im_Vinh

I did try to search this before I posted, but no luck in the info. I need.

Currently loading .40 major ( 200gr ACME / 4.0gr 231 ) and I wanted to know what are all you guys who load .40 major; what recoil spring # have you found ideal for your guns?

Also are the recoil springs from the full size cz 75 and TS compatible with one another?

1 hour ago, phoenixsomd said:

I've been happy shooting 200g rnds in the TS with an 11# spring.  I use the CGW recoil springs and they fit all the full-size pistols.

Thanks, my TSO came with what I believe two spare 11# springs and was equipped with a 16#. When I shot the 11# lastnight in a match my friend told me the gun was throwing the brass way to far , suggesting I try a 13# or 14#

I shoot 172PF in my TS and use an 13lb spring.  A 14 lb was standard.  I fins that a 13 lets me shoot Major and Minor without having to change springs.  As a lark I cooked up some really light steel loads using a 135gr at 109PF.  It still worked with the 13 lb spring, but the brass barely dribbled out.

11lb here, 200gr acme/bbi 200gr.

I don't care how far my brass goes as long as it is reliable and my splits on the timer are the fastest.

Everyone is different and slides can feel slow, fast, bouncy or flat. You have to find out what fits you the best and the timer doesn't lie.

You need to know the main spring weights as well.  Two springs are compressed during recoil -- the main spring and recoil spring.  Both effect the motion of the slide, and therefore, the shooters perception of what happens with the pistol during recoil.

23 hours ago, GeneBray said:

You need to know the main spring weights as well.  Two springs are compressed during recoil -- the main spring and recoil spring.  Both effect the motion of the slide, and therefore, the shooters perception of what happens with the pistol during recoil.

My TSO has a 20# mainspring in it , what are you guys running for your mainsprings?

Mine now wears a 13lb mainspring from CGW.  My hammer was defective from the factory, so I had CGW replace it along with their sear, metal trigger and mainspring.  They also put in an extended firing pin that I had not specifically asked for.  I'm still using a 13lb recoil spring for loads between 109PF and 172PF.  Trigger pull is the same weight as when I sent it off.  The lighter mainspring still ignites CCI primers.  About the only difference I feel is the drastically reduced creep in the trigger pull.

12lb Wolff recoil spring & 20lb Wolff mainspring for me. I've played with 11lb recoil springs  and the gun runs fine with them but I get a "chugging" sensation as the slide returns to battery. 

On 3/18/2017 at 6:20 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Anyone tried a DPM recoil reduction system? 

I just ordered one for my TS .40.  It will be here in about 1 week.

I shoot 172 pf for major and about 130pf when shooting steel. I currently run a 13# recoil and 15# mainspring for both loads.

I will post once I try it out.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2017 at 6:21 PM, billthemarine2862 said:

I just ordered one for my TS .40.  It will be here in about 1 week.

I shoot 172 pf for major and about 130pf when shooting steel. I currently run a 13# recoil and 15# mainspring for both loads.

I will post once I try it out.

So did you try it? How did it turn out?

• 3 years later...

I have read carefully what you all wrote here.

Some use 11# Some 12# or 13# . Seems that most  people say that FACTORY spring is 14#.

Kind question- how do you measure it, or you simply rely on the seller and you trust him to sell you the correct rate?

I mean -  there is compression spring. Do you / any of you take a spring  and actually measure it?

Lets assume your spring rate is 12lb/in (pounds per inch) it will mean it takes 12 pounds of force to compress the spring 1 inch.

The slide travel 2 and 1/64 inches till the slide hits the body.

(generally you need to compress it 1" and then measure the force for the 2nd inch)

https://raceland.com/news/how-are-spring-rates-measured/

Why do  I ask- recently  bought the CZ TS 40 - shooting factory ammo MAgtech 180 or SB - and have couple of springs - will measure them and choose  

Thanks

To summarize :

I have taken 3 kits of DPM and measured them spring by spring.

Conclusion:

The length of the spring in the DPM  cz TS kit  has  nothing to do with spring rate.

The springs in the DPM rated as follows: I've  measured compression of 2 ", measured the spring  L   and used math to calculate the full spring compression

17.57# with spring  length of 4.01"

17.4# with spring  length  of 4.44"

16.56# with spring  length of  4.42"

16.78# with spring  length  of 4.1"

15# with spring  length  of 4.6"

14.3# with spring  length  of 4.56"

13# with spring  length of 4.37"

The usual springs for CZ do not match ( too narrow) for DPM and can not be used.

In addition :

The Original "FROM THE BOX"  CZ TS 40 spring  is rated 15.8#  with length of 4.92"

Edited by asimonp79

9 hours ago, CZGeoege said:

I run a 14lb recoil spring and a Wolff 20lb Hammer spring, 170PF ammo.

Sir-

with Regular guide rod  Or Metal? 

With or without the buffer?

And last but not least- do you actually have barrel kidney STRAIGHT

image.png.ff384797def238089975d47230dd42f5.png

or with belly?

image.png.d6330a7e922e6dc80b4bf309d5b5402d.png

I use a 9 lb recoil spring and a 21 lb hammer spring, 180 gr bullets at ~170pf.  Forget where the brass is ejecting and get slow-motion video of your recoil to decide what springs provide the least rise & dip.  It will be specific to how you hold and grip the gun.