Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR PCC

Good question.  It seems the way to go for me.  My only SBR is a Colt M4, and I didn't want a 9mm upper for a standard AR lower, nor the hassle of another registration, so I didn't do SBR.  I'm also not really into PCC for USPSA yet, but more for certain multigun matches that allow it, like Hard as Hell.  So, I went with a standard-length CZ Scorpion and am looking forward to trying it out.

If I was hardcore into PCC, I think the SBR is the way to go, especially for barricades, walls, etc.

As for issues, there may be some states where you can't take it if you travel for matches.  And there are some who think that you have to file paperwork every time you want to take it out of state, even if it's not for commercial purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

My Uzi is a 10.25" SBR and I have no trouble making hits at extended ranges.  My AR is a 10.5" SBR and I also have no issues.  The statement above about bullets not stabilizing on longer tighter targets is odd to me since most pistol barrels used in this game are 4.5-6" and people can make their hits at extended ranges no problem. 

Really light and short is cool for high round count close in stuff but it doesn't like to stabilize on the longer, tighter targets. The best balance is probably going to be around 12-13" 

Please provide evidence of "not stabilizing on longer, tighter targets."

Until then, it's nothing but an opinion.

I have filed a form 1 but it will be a while until it shows up. I don't see how it would be anything other than beneficial to shoot an SBR. Easier around barricades, through ports, less mass to swing, etc.

I'm guessing, but I think he's talking about the muzzle being "jumpy" or how it swings, or tracks, or settles down on long targets, not the bullets stabilizing. I think this is a practice & training issue. 

Edited by OPENB

I shot an 8" SIG MPX last year.  The upside was on using it on stages with tight corridors.  The downside was with starts that have the muzzle on an X.  They would put them low  or off to the side so it works well for 16" but is a bit awkward for short barrels.

I was referring to the ability to control group size, not prevent bullet tumbling. More about the whole gun stabilizing not the bullet. We regularly shoot our PCC's out to 100 plus yards and the long barrel/gun seems better at those extended distances. We have PCC's in our R&D shop with barrels ranging from 4" to 16" and we carefully record all test results.

And of course its just opinion, but it is opinion based on daily real world experience. As far as proof, not sure what to offer. I did have a few PCC's at Area 1 for a fund raiser this weekend ranging from 4" to 16" that a couple of 100 people shot. If you would have come by I would have  let you try them at 100 yards to see for yourself. Your results might have been different then mine.

Edited by Bob Hostetter
On 4/2/2017 at 7:17 AM, lcambre said:

I shot an 8" SIG MPX last year.  The upside was on using it on stages with tight corridors.  The downside was with starts that have the muzzle on an X.  They would put them low  or off to the side so it works well for 16" but is a bit awkward for short barrels.

muzzle on an X?

5 hours ago, chopinlover said:

muzzle on an X?

A common PCC starting position now is specific that the buttstock should touch the belt and the muzzle should touch an X on the wall; keeping everyone starting the same, unlike the bastardized positions that "port arms" and "low ready" have become.

13 minutes ago, MAC702 said:

A common PCC starting position now is specific that the buttstock should touch the belt and the muzzle should touch an X on the wall; keeping everyone starting the same, unlike the bastardized positions that "port arms" and "low ready" have become.

Got u. I know the stock touching belt part, but never known the X thing. Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

my registered SBR is a 5.56 and I use a Macon Armory mag block and Metalform Colt style mags for my 9mm 10" upper... my regular PCC is a NFA Glock lower 16" upper... I prefer the Glock mags, but like the 10" for a non USPSA run and gun match that typically has pretty tight in quarters

My SBR is set up with a 13.5 barrel and I like the set up.  There has been a  couple of spots that I needed to pull the rifle back for movement, but I don't think it slowed me down enough.  I guess when you are already slow, a small amount won't be noticed.  I also have long arms, so I would not go any shorter.  My handguard tube is a 12.5 , so for me , I would not go shorter.

9mm SBR all the way.  I've been using a 7.5" barrel for 3 years.  The only minor drawback is having to fill out ATF Form 20 – 5320.20 Application to Transport in duplicate if you want to shoot your SBR in a different state.  My 10.5" 556 AR also get much more use than the 18" version.