Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to buy my first CZ... what should I buy

Edge40

Hey everybody.  Ive recently got the itch for a CZ.  Right now I'm leaning towards an accu shadow or ordering a shadow 2.  I am really green when it comes to CZ pistols and am currently reading everything I can find.  I'm a glock guy for everything but competition and love my 2011s for USPSA. I'll probably mess around with this in production but limited is my primary division.  Anyway what do you think. The accu shadows seem to be quite a bit more than the standard shadows or shadow 2 but is it worth it. Is the shadow 2 ergonomics worth it or should I just get something thats available.  I'm a little lost with this one.  Thanks for the help.

I'll definitely be messing around in Production.  Not my primary division but I'll shoot it now and then.  I'll will also be messing around at the range shooting plate racks and steel.  Kind of just a fun gun for now but if I decided to get serious in production I don't want to regret my decision.  So to be honest at this point I just want one and not sure what to get but if I had to say I would say competition based above all else.

I don't think you can go wrong with the SP-01 Shadow or Shadow 2. Shadow has been winning many competitions, and I doubt the Shadow 2 will really change it up that much besides the sponsored shooters getting new guns. I think if you're hesitant about Production, then get the cheaper SP-01 shadow. Many being sold here at a very good price. If you don't mind spending more and investing in it, then the Shadow 2.

I'm really leaning towards the accu shadow or the shadow 2.  How is the accuracy of the shadow 2 compared to the accu shadow. Whats the big difference besides the ergonomics?

AccuShadow with adj sights or a Shadow 2 are my recommendations then. You want Production division hotness, there ya go.

But if it will take food outta your kid's mouths then get a regular old firing pin block SP01 and slowly get stuff done to it.

Just now, Edge40 said:

I'm really leaning towards the accu shadow or the shadow 2.  How is the accuracy of the shadow 2 compared to the accu shadow. Whats the big difference besides the ergonomics?

I'll be shooting those two guns side by side tomorrow and will report. I don't expect much difference. I do think the big difference between them is how they are stock to stock. And then how they feel in hand with the revised ergos and increased weight. I'm diggin my Shadow2 after just a day.

4 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I'll be shooting those two guns side by side tomorrow and will report. I don't expect much difference. I do think the big difference between them is how they are stock to stock. And then how they feel in hand with the revised ergos and increased weight. I'm diggin my Shadow2 after just a day.

Please do, thanks Rowdy.  This just seems to be the logical choice for me.

21 minutes ago, CosmosMpower said:

Won't work for production but I could not be more impressed with my tactical sport orange.

Honestly if I didn't want to shoot production with it that would be up there.

While not one of you original choices.   I'd consider a sp-o1  with any of the custom " pro package" be it czc, Cajun, accuracy...

I doubt you'll see any accu --- accuracy difference unless you ransom test it,. Or are in the top 5%

a fully stroked sp01 can be had for 1k.    add  extra mag f/o sights grips and still come equal or lee$$ than shadow pricing.  And come out with a better gun.   

On 3/16/2017 at 10:57 PM, rowdyb said:

By any chance did you get out to shoot them side by side?  Very curious how that was.

I would get a Shadow 2

Think that is at the moment the best stock pistol you can get 

I have one on the way but that's gonna take another 3 weeks at least before I'll have it home 

Long live California !

Edited by Kingair001

I did shoot them, yep. My Accu is sooooo familiar so the differences really stood out.

-I am a fan of the grip on the Shadow 2 big time.

-Stock, out of the box the Shadow 2 is a better gun than a stock SP01 Shadow. Definitely.

-In order of smaller group to larger, shot a 25 yards I did best with my Carry Optics gun, which I'll put down entirely to shooting a dot, then my Accu, then my Shadow 2, then my regular Shadow.

-Many of the same tune up ideas and parts will work on a Shadow 2 that work on a SP01 Shadow. The Shadow came out in 2007, so if it were me I'd be an early adopter of the Shadow 2 as the base gun. Then as more parts and experience with it comes along, add to it.

I'll second the custom bushing if you are not satisfied with the accuracy you are getting.  I had a 75B slide where the bushing ID was +.007 over the OD of the barrel.  I was hanging a comp of the end of this, and that exacerbated the problem.  I have a custom tool steel bushing fitted to the slide, and groups went from 3" at 15 yards to same hole at 15 yards.

My TS shot great right out of the package.  The bushings are soft and wear fairly quickly.  I didn't realize that, and the loss of accuracy wasn't noticeable, because it happened so slowly.  I really never noticed it shooting Limited, but finally did when shooting outlaw pins and steel.  At one game you have to hit a 1" dia. steel plate at 15 yards.  Earlier the TS was capable of this.  I had a 10X bushing installed and the accuracy was right back up there.  The $60 for the bushing gets you just about as good as it gets, without going to a more expensive custom bushing.