Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

So far, I basically ordered everything from CGW and this is what I installed so far. 11lb recoil, 11.5 lb hammer, RP firing pin spring and extended firing pin, RP trigger return spring, t1 disco and CGW race hammer with adj sear. I got average of 6.75-7 DA pulls with crisp 2.75 avg SA pulls. I was using Freedom Munitions American Steel and got 2-3 "light" strikes out of 200 rounds tested yesterday. I believe they're just hard primers because they don't really look like light hits.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, zeroryde said:

So far, I basically ordered everything from CGW and this is what I installed so far. 11lb recoil, 11.5 lb hammer, RP firing pin spring and extended firing pin, RP trigger return spring, t1 disco and CGW race hammer with adj sear. I got average of 6.75-7 DA pulls with crisp 2.75 avg SA pulls. I was using Freedom Munitions American Steel and got 2-3 "light" strikes out of 200 rounds tested yesterday. I believe they're just hard primers because they don't really look like light hits.

Was the T1 disco that much different than the stock shadow 2 one? I was going to try and fit a T3. I hear conflicting info.

Found one today, my S2 urban grey is otw.

Was the T1 disco that much different than the stock shadow 2 one? I was going to try and fit a T3. I hear conflicting info.

It helped remove the pretravel in SA. It was a significant difference.. probably by 1.5-2 mm

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, zeroryde said:

It helped remove the pretravel in SA. It was a significant difference.. probably by 1.5-2 mm

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you.

2 hours ago, RIPsaw475 said:

I fit the t3 and it was a huge difference. I ended up removing a little more material than necessary to create a small amount of pre travel. It was next to nothing but I wanted a little travel. Definitely worth the money.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:17 AM, rowdyb said:

i'm still not shooting it very well at anything over 20 yards. which i bet is 80% me and 20% my ammo.

Not sure what changed, but 20 rounds yesterday at 20 yards with my standard ammo (range brass,147sns,3.2 titegroup,1,15 oal) looked pretty good. I blame the fliers on me and tend to think that 8 rounds on or touching the paster is about the gun, smooth part of the plate is a 5" circle & head box of a USPSA target is 6x6, so since I can not shoot well enough to tell improvement & do not have a ransom rest I am going to call this good to go. 

I have no idea why I circled 4 shots. Edit, swine memory, fliers on first 10 shot group. 

shadowmay2.jpg.9b948ebf65098b236d79692360f3d4f3.jpg

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I am little puzzled with your guys reports on shooting groups with Shadow 2. I have done a LOT (at least 5K rounds) of group shooting with various accu-shadows, shadows, and now  shadow 2 for the last year or two. Frankly I do not see much difference between all of them. I always shoot groups unsupported; the group size varies depending of the day and ammo. It does take some time (For me) to get tuned and stay focused when I am shooting groups. I have shot 2" groups (5 shots) at 25 yards with all of them many times after I warmed up. I also can keep all the shots in the A- zone at 50 yrds. The worst accuracy I get it is usually with Xtreme bullets. My coated loads (147gr  SNS and Blue Bullets) are usually more consistent. I also feel that 124gr are more accurate (Perhaps). New, unfamiliar, sights or trigger could affect the groups but after a while it all becomes very close. I never had a  ransom rest to test it properly though. 

2 minutes ago, cheby said:

I am little puzzled with your guys reports on shooting groups with Shadow 2. I have done a LOT (at least 5K rounds) of group shooting with various accu-shadows, shadows, and now  shadow 2 for the last year or two. Frankly I do not see much difference between all of them. I always shoot groups unsupported; the group size varies depending of the day and ammo. It does take some time (For me) to get tuned and stay focused when I am shooting groups. I have shot 2" groups (5 shots) at 25 yards with all of them many times after I warmed up. I also can keep all the shots in the A- zone at 50 yrds. The worst accuracy I get it is usually with Xtreme bullets. My coated loads (147gr  SNS and Blue Bullets) are usually more consistent. I also feel that 124gr are more accurate (Perhaps). New, unfamiliar, sights or trigger could affect the groups but after a while it all becomes very close. I never had a  ransom rest to test it properly though. 

Let me clarify then what I'm experiencing. At the end of a practice session when I'm warmed up and have probably shot a couple different guns I shoot at an open uspsa metric target at 25 yards for 10 rounds and get a certain size and even distribution of shots on target that I'm very happy with using my Accu Shadow.

Then I take the same ammo and shoot 10 rounds with my Shadow 2 at the same target, same distance and get a group in size and distribution that is larger enough to represent a difference I'm frustrated with. With my Accu I shoot 3" groups of 10 rounds, just standing there unsupported at 25 yards. With my Shadow 2 it is closer to 6".

So I'm shooting same ammo, same time, same place, same distance, same amount of warm up. The variable then is the guns and their components. Adimittedly I have considerable more time on my Accu than my Shadow 2. 50k rounds versus less than 1k. Years versus months. My Accu is an Accu. My Shadow 2 has a cgw bushing. My Accu has a fitted Oz barrel. My Shadow two has a stock barrel. Their triggers are equal. My Accu has a fully adjustable rear. My Shadow 2 has stock sights.

So in my quest to pick either gun up and shoot reasonably equal groups I'm putting the same rear sight I have on my Accu on my Shadow 2. The next step is to see if the Shadow 2 might need a little different load than my Accu.

Understand. Sure, the accu-bushing and the fitted barrel could make the gun more accurate. Perhaps it is better to compare Shadow 2 with Shadow, not Accushadow. Still I think the biggest impact would be the considerable difference in time on your Accu vs Shadow 2. 

3 hours ago, cheby said:

I am little puzzled with your guys reports on shooting groups

Can't provide a better explanation than 'it is what it is' .

I've purchased 2 cz's , one a cts and the other a tactical sport orange, that were as good out of the box as my limited group shooting ability can demonstrate. The S2 and my 2nd CTS I had worse luck with but the S2 seems good now and the CTS seemed good immediatly after installing a CGW bushing. Maybe the S2 (CGW bushing installed there also) wore in a bit??

Agree that it is much about how well you are shooting on a particular day, if in doubt I bring out my first CTS (stock bushing but most accurate gun) so I can figure out if a bad result is just me. 

Oh, if I'm shooting well off of a bench switching guns is not an issue, used to use a S&W model 41 target as my baseline gun to verify my own performance on a particular day. I either am off with whatever gun or else I am on. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

To what degree is frame cracking/deformation a risk with long term use of 10lb or 11lb springs and 130ish pf loads? I'm guessing it's not an issue, but I'm new to CZ's and my only experience with metal framed guns is 1911s. I ask as I'd prefer not to use the buffers they ship with. 

1 hour ago, WiII said:

To what degree is frame cracking/deformation a risk with long term use of 10lb or 11lb springs and 130ish pf loads? I'm guessing it's not an issue, but I'm new to CZ's and my only experience with metal framed guns is 1911s. I ask as I'd prefer not to use the buffers they ship with. 

My practice Shadow 1 has ~80,000 rounds through it exclusively using 11 lb springs. I'd say the odds are almost zero. 

12 hours ago, wingnut said:

What is an acceptable group at 25yds standing

If I can't stay on the head box (6"x6") at 20 yards I am either not having a good day or looking to fix or sell something.

If I can stay on it at 25 yards then I am satisfied with things. If all the shots at 25 yards are well inside the boundaries then I'm shooting better than average & am very happy with the gun/ammo. 

Just the way one person does things.

Even on a good day there will be the occasional flier. 

20 hours ago, Sliv2 said:

My practice Shadow 1 has ~80,000 rounds through it exclusively using 11 lb springs. I'd say the odds are almost zero. 

Thanks. How often do you change the springs? I used 11lbs in my glock and would only change them every 5000 or so rounds.

I also see references to slide stops cracking, how often do you change them?

24 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I change every spring in the gun every 6 months, mags included. I change slide stop once a year.

Great, thanks!

Not recommended but I shot my Shadow about 20,000 rounds before changing springs or really cleaning it at all, other than adding more oil and chipping the carbon off the breech face a few times 

Not the best idea but she never stopped running! Took me almost 3 hours to clean it though

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

thanks for the words of encouragement but probably not true. i wish i could only clean a gun every 6 months, seems i'm cleaning a gun every week.

Hahahaha