Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

I've left mine in, and I don't really notice any difference. Why don't you use the 11.5# spring? Should still be 100% reliable.

My RHT holster is dragging a bit, and the gun wobbles a bit in the holster still. Need to do a bit of work to it I think.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Adding the CZC wide Comp hammer was a positive change and it still is setting off Winchester all the time with a 13# main spring. The hammer took a little fitting to the frame and sear cage.

What did you do to fit it? I stuck a hammer from my Shadow Target in my Shadow 2 and loved the feel of the trigger pull but couldn't get it to drop reliably. I haven't fitted  a hammer before so didn't want to start filing on stuff before I had an idea of what to do.

And for reference I have the 8.5# Hs in mine and extended firing pin for testing, so far it's 100% with Federal and S&B primers (surprised about the S&B) but I've only tried a handful, would have to test more.

I use Fed for matches and S&B for practice Ammo .

take this for what you paid for it, ok. hahahaha.

but i simply had to get clearance on the width of the hammer cleaned up at any point where it contacted anything in the new gun. just lightly cleaning the sides up with 2,000 grit wet sand paper. i didn't polish this hammer like i would normally, as i was in a hurry hahaha and it was on my own gun doing the work at home.

mine was "sticky" in its movement for lack of a better word.

Edited by rowdyb

20 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

but i simply had to get clearance on the width of the hammer cleaned up at any point where it contacted anything in the new gun. just lightly cleaning the sides up with 2,000 grit wet sand paper. i didn't polish this hammer like i would normally, as i was in a hurry hahaha and it was on my own gun doing the work at home.

Mine seemed to have enough side to side clearance, although I didn't look in tomit that much. Mine seemed to have an issue with the hooks releasing on trigger reset. 

Again Id have to mess with it more to be sure. May buy a hammer to destroy, er I mean fit

For those of those shoot IPSC (outside of the USA) the current factory sights give a very nice sight picture at 50m with the angled sides almost lining up perfectly with the shape of the IPSC target. Makes for a simple way to line up

On 4/4/2017 at 11:44 PM, rowdyb said:

I just did my hammer and disco yesterday.  I had previously replaced the main spring and the recoil spring with a 13# and 11# respectively, along with an extended firing pin and reduced power FPS.  I polished the trigger bar, the disco, sear and the sear cage, parts of the frame and the sides of the hammer.

I had no fitting issues at all.  Safety worked with no issue.  CZC drop in disco did not require fitting, and the hammer slipped right in as well.  And when I say above I polished the hammer and disco, it was strictly with a dremel and polish, no sanding.  The sear, I cleaned up with a sharpening stone and then hit it lightly with the dremel.  I didn't spend a lot of time on the frame, just hit is with 1500 and 3000 grit to take down rough spots where the trigger bar rides, where the hammer makes contact and where the trigger sits.

My DA is now smoother than my Shadow Target 2.  SA is about the same on the two, but the Shadow 2 reset is actually a tad shorter with zero take up.  The biggest difference, and I posted this on the CZ Forum, is that the Target 2 has a much more tactile reset. 

I don't have a trigger pull gauge so I can't quantify the differences between the two.  I'm sure I can find someone at my club that has one. 

8 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

sounds like you did an awesome job!

Thanks, but I'd chalk it up to a lot of good material and advice on this site (I followed the professors tutorial and advice in this thread) as well as a lot of luck. 

Dropped in a CGW competition legal hammer (10035) and a 1485-T1 disconnector. Kept original sear per conversation with CGW. 

No fitting required, no issues, your mileage may vary.

Pre-travel went from about 0.13 to about 0.10. I like a bit of pre-travel so that is ok for me, I can see where others might prefer going to the extra work of installing the custom fit disco. Travel after pre travel take up went from about 0.07 to about 0.055. 

None of the measurements are exact as it was hard to be precise. 

As is, need to put some trigger time in & possibly tear down again and polish (got lazy), but it is not bad. Not as good as my CTS but maybe in 5000 rounds or so it will be a more fair comparison. Wondering about oem sear versus the CGW adjustable sear being part of the difference.  

The more time I spend with mine, the less I feel compelled to change anything. 

I switched springs right away, have a thinner front sight on the way, and will add thick grips once they become available. I may throw in an 85 trigger from my old Shadows to reduce the DA throw slightly, but that's it. 

I've been spoiled by my Automatic Accuracy shadows, but this thing is ready to rumble out of the box. 

16 minutes ago, Sliv2 said:

Thick compared to the factory ones? Sure. I'm waiting for something like the SSI scales. 

? What are you waiting for.. they already make Scales for the CZ. The Shadow 2 uses the same grips as the 75 platform.

Also, palm swells are way thicker than scales.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

10 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

? What are you waiting for.. they already make Scales for the CZ. The Shadow 2 uses the same grips as the 75 platform.

Also, palm swells are way thicker than scales.

The palm swells are definitely not thicker than scales. 

And all 3 sets of my scales don't fit the s2. The screw location is off just far enough where they can't even be fit

8 minutes ago, Sliv2 said:

The palm swells are definitely not thicker than scales. 

And all 3 sets of my scales don't fit the s2. The screw location is off just far enough where they can't even be fit

The overall width of the scales is 1.33". The palm swells bring it to 1.44".

Also, from SSI directly, you have to drill the hole out if the alignment isn't perfect. If all other 75 grips work fine with the Shadow 2, the issue is with the tight tolerances that SSI produces with (which is not a bad thing). You just have to fit the grips per their instructions.

Update 1... to my stock S2 (post CZ custom enhancement package I mentioned in an earlier post).

I replaced the 13lb hammer spring with a CGW 11.5lb hammer spring.  I then swapped to the extended safety (the one they send with the gun but not installed).  I then put in the CGW reduced power trigger return spring and floating pin.

The double action pull weight has dropped from 7.5lb to 6.25lb.  The single action went from 3.5lb to 2.75lb.  

I did notice that the CGW TRS does make the SA feel a little "mushy" but I compared to my accushadow and the consistency is very similar.  I may swap back to the original TRS but need to shoot it more first.  First function check (outside the obvious ones I did already) will be to see if with these modifications will it consistently make my CCI primers go bang.

Any thoughts on the mod's or experience at those weights and CCI's?

On 4/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, rowdyb said:

Who all has left their shock buffer in and what do you think of it??

I shoot my Accu Shadow better currently. Getting a holster and a month of practice will probably change that...??

I've taken mine out, I can't tell a difference and I don't like the idea of the trouble it can cause when it fails.

I still shoot my Target 2 better as well.  I'm glad I'm not the only one! 

Once I get a holster and can then put in real practice with it, feeling the extra weight I'll have a better idea. I like the stand and shoot stuff I've done with it though. But for whatever the reasons, I still shoot my Accu just a tiny bit better.

Better=freestyle groups at 25 yards or greater.

Edited by rowdyb

4 hours ago, MrT_shootsAcz said:

Update 1... to my stock S2 (post CZ custom enhancement package I mentioned in an earlier post).

I replaced the 13lb hammer spring with a CGW 11.5lb hammer spring.  I then swapped to the extended safety (the one they send with the gun but not installed).  I then put in the CGW reduced power trigger return spring and floating pin.

The double action pull weight has dropped from 7.5lb to 6.25lb.  The single action went from 3.5lb to 2.75lb.  

I did notice that the CGW TRS does make the SA feel a little "mushy" but I compared to my accushadow and the consistency is very similar.  I may swap back to the original TRS but need to shoot it more first.  First function check (outside the obvious ones I did already) will be to see if with these modifications will it consistently make my CCI primers go bang.

Any thoughts on the mod's or experience at those weights and CCI's?

I'd be surprised if you issues with the primers.

I've been running the CZ shockbuffs for about 6 years maybe longer, I typically get around 4500 rounds out of one. It is easy to tell when they are starting to fail, I inspect mine before a match and replace if they are tearing. But in my practice gun I let them go until they mess with the timing. It takes a lot of mangling before that happens. 

40 minutes ago, slavex said:

I've been running the CZ shockbuffs for about 6 years maybe longer, I typically get around 4500 rounds out of one. It is easy to tell when they are starting to fail, I inspect mine before a match and replace if they are tearing. But in my practice gun I let them go until they mess with the timing. It takes a lot of mangling before that happens. 

Do you have any idea why CZ seems to have changed their thinking by supplying them with the new guns (S2,TSO) ?