Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

Here is what I did to my Shadow 2 today, Thursday March 16th. In no particular order:

• replaced red fiber optic rod with green
  • removed shock buffer
  • beveled off pin on the end of stainless steel guide rod
  • internal polishing, fitting, smoothing etc
  • our "Race Trigger Job" work equivalency at Automatic Accuracy
  • 11# CZC recoil spring
  • 13# CZC main spring
  • reduced power firing pin spring
  • CZC extended firing pin
  • milled a 'gunsmith fit' disconnector
  • VZ grips installed
  • adjusted magazine release paddle to 2pm position

I should have fit the Production legal CZC comp hammer, as another gun I felt at the shop had a very very nice DA pull with it installed. Right now, with no rounds through it and the above mods my DA pull was 7# and my SA pull was 2.75# with an amazing reset.

Stock the gun felt waaaayyy better than a stock SP01 Shadow out of the box. Honestly, you could buy a Shadow 2 and really do nothing if you were tight on funds or just felt like it. (Sorry boss!)

Tomorrow is shooting to sight in with my ammo. Determining if I need to ream the barrel. Distance group shooting. Then whatever else I can think of to do that's not drawing from the holster.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been doing

CZ Competition hammer, fitting better disconnector, extended firing pin, 13# main.

other options have been 11# recoil, .100 wide front sight, fully adjustable rear sight.  still working on our fixed rear sight.

Yep, seems like we're following the same path. CJ and I spent some good time today looking at things and comparing what we did on other models to this one. I really should have installed the other (your) hammer today but I wanted to keep them available for customers.

Very interesting the trigger bar has no machining marks on it compared to the SP01 Shadow's. And the stock Shadow 2 disconnector and hammer looks like they could be used as an upgrade in some other models.

Not sure the need for the extended firing pin or softer firing pin spring as both of mine were 100% with both the CZC 13# and CGW 11.5 Main spring on hard russian primers.  In fact the only issue I had was with the CGW soft firing pin spring and when I put the stock spring back in it was 100%.

The Shadow 2's are my first gun with a Shock buff, what's the theory on removing it?

fp spring and fp were changed because i've always done it. it's part of the package. it may not be needed but it's low cost insurance for sure.

the shock buffer is a consumable. i shoot thousands of rounds per month, i am not changing a shock buffer every month in a super heavy gun shooting 9mm minor. (i don't use it in my tac sport either) also, the main complaint is that when they do 'go bad' the fall into pieces and jam up your gun.

kinda like you don't feel the need for the fp stuff, i've shot my guns without them (both major and minor) and don't feel i need them.

11.5lb Cajun Gun Works hammer spring, comp hammer, 8lb recoil spring, CZ 1mm disco (new item from CZUB via Robin Sebo), super light firing pin spring from the Shadowmate guns (I think the same as the Orange Shadows might come with), 85C trigger, and that's it. When I'm shooting Steel Challenge I throw in a 8.5lb hammer spring and make sure I am using Federal primers.

Edited by slavex

I've been curious what the early adopters would change on their Shadow 2's.  I'm looking forward to getting mine when it arrives in about 2 months (hopefully less).

What kind of round count on these new guns so far?  Any issues or is most of this preventative, customizing to your taste, etc?

I picked up my S2 two days ago. I didn't care for the creep in single action. I did a quick spring change to a CGW 11 lbs recoil and a 11.5 lbs hammer spring and it was 100% (I do use federal primers.) Last night I ordered CGW race hammer, sear, disco, bushing & extended firing pin. I will update after I do the work next week.

19 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Here is what I did to my Shadow 2 today, Thursday March 16th. In no particular order:

• removed shock buffer
  • 11# CZC recoil spring
  • 13# CZC main spring
  • VZ grips installed

I should have fit the Production legal CZC comp hammer, as another gun I felt at the shop had a very very nice DA pull with it installed. Right now, with no rounds through it and the above mods my DA pull was 7# and my SA pull was 2.75# with an amazing reset.

Stock the gun felt waaaayyy better than a stock SP01 Shadow out of the box. Honestly, you could buy a Shadow 2 and really do nothing if you were tight on funds or just felt like it. (Sorry boss!)

Tomorrow is shooting to sight in with my ammo. Determining if I need to ream the barrel. Distance group shooting. Then whatever else I can think of to do that's not drawing from the holster.

rowdyb - Same polish job as a Shadow 1? Anything out of the ordinary?

3 hours ago, bcp said:

What kind of round count on these new guns so far?  Any issues or is most of this preventative, customizing to your taste, etc?

I'm closing in on 3,000 rounds on my Urban Grey Shadow 2 and about 1,000 on the Black/Blue and so far not a hiccup.

5 hours ago, sfinney said:

Were these regular CZ75 grips?

Yes, grips i took straight off another SP01. fit perfect.

I would not  grind the nub off the guide rod if I were to do it again. there is no ledge for the base of the gr to rest in, so that nipple/nub is needed more than I thought.

4 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

I picked up my S2 two days ago. I didn't care for the creep in single action. I did a quick spring change to a CGW 11 lbs recoil and a 11.5 lbs hammer spring and it was 100% (I do use federal primers.) Last night I ordered CGW race hammer, sear, disco, bushing & extended firing pin. I will update after I do the work next week.

rowdyb - Same polish job as a Shadow 1? Anything out of the ordinary?

if you've done your own polishing and work on a Shadow then this will not seem out of the ordinary at all. so yes, same same.

the bottom of the sear cage looked really good on mine straight from the factory.

I am having issues with the stock hammer and the disconnector I chose. So that option is still being worked out. The addition of the CZ Comp hammer fixes it, but we didn't have enough in at the shop for me to take one and short a customer.

Edited by rowdyb

Shooting the guns just rested on my range bag at a target 20 yards away my groups, from best on down were from these guns, all using the same ammo.

1st-my Carry Optics SP01 Shadow upper on my IPSC legal frame. So not a lot of work or parts. All in the sights I guess...

2nd-my AccuShadow with Aus barrel and adj sights. I'm very familiar with this gun and could shoot it in my sleep I bet.

3rd-my new Shadow 2 with stock sights and mostly just internal polish. poa/poi was quite a bit off on my gun. by inches.

4th-my IDPA SSP legal SP01 Shadow just about 1/4" bigger group than the Shadow 2.

Time on the trigger, tuning, getting used to the stock sights and I could maybe do better than I did. But the CO gun and the Accu I shot better groups just from looking, no need to even get out the ruler. The Shadow 2 and regular, but worked over with everything Prod/SSP legal SP01 Shadow were very close in group size, very close.

Let me repeat, DO NOT GRIND OFF THE NIPPLE ON THE GUIDE ROD. Getting the guide rod to sit right is a million times easier with it on there.

Also, you can mistakenly put your SP01 Shadow slide release in but the gun will not work properly and you will be pissed at your new toy. Until you realize what you did and then you're just mad at yourself.

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

if you've done your own polishing and work on a Shadow then this will not seem out of the ordinary at all. so yes, same same.

the bottom of the sear cage looked really good on mine straight from the factory.

I am having issues with the stock hammer and the disconnector I chose. So that option is still being worked out. The addition of the CZ Comp hammer fixes it, but we didn't have enough in at the shop for me to take one and short a customer.

Great, thank you.

10 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Let me repeat, DO NOT GRIND OFF THE NIPPLE ON THE GUIDE ROD. Getting the guide rod to sit right is a million times easier with it on there.

Also, you can mistakenly put your SP01 Shadow slide release in but the gun will not work properly and you will be pissed at your new toy. Until you realize what you did and then you're just mad at yourself.

Thank you for update your own post. I was considering it. I guess you you can say the S2 prefers perky nipples. ^_^

6 hours ago, cheby said:

Do you think the cgw bushing would work on shadow 2? Should it improve the accuracy?

Yes, David from CGW says so here in this post: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=86823.msg651850#msg651850

Check his entire thread "Critical Look at the Shadow 2": http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=86823.0

wide Competition hammer from CZ on the way.

double check your trigger over travel screw. mine very quickly backed out and stopped the gun from resetting. set it and loktite it.

On 3/16/2017 at 5:40 PM, rowdyb said:

• removed shock buffer
  • 11# CZC recoil spring
  • 13# CZC main spring
  • VZ grips installed

How about the 85c trigger? Are you keeping the stock one?

On 3/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, rowdyb said:

This is so funny. Only because I have done something very similar.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:10 PM, rowdyb said:

Which slide lock fits, the TS?  It's something that goes, so it would be nice to have back ups.