Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC 3 Gun - Disassembly help needed

alleycat

I just received a new DVC 3 Gun and I'm planning to strip and lube prior to trying it out this weekend. In an attempt not to screw something up prior to firing first shot I want to be sure and get the field strip and reassembly procedure correct. The instructions in STI manual that came with gun are not great and don't even mention a procedure for gun with a bushing like mine. I have searched the net and checked out you tube but I can't find anything that addresses DVC 3 Gun. I am very familiar with tearing down 1911's with solid guide rods and bushings but unfamiliar with 2011 with guide rods that have holes for paper clip tools to release spring pressure etc.

This has to be simple. Can anyone shed some light on proper field strip procedure for this gun? Thanks

remove the upper/slide.  depress the guide rod til it sticks out past the bushing (away from the chamber).  get a small paper clip and make an "L" with it, with one end (the short end) the length of the guide rod diameter.  obviously do this part first...

stick the paper clip in the guide rod hole.  spring tension is now locked/removed.  pull the guide rod back over the barrel link.  rest should be same as normal 1911.

he mentioned paper clip hole.  if this has the dawson tool-less guide rod, then compress the guide rod forward and just depress the built-in lever just a hair so it rests against the guide rod plug.  that de-tensions the guide rod which then can be pulled back out and over the barrel link.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who might refer to this post in the future, the DVC 3 Gun can indeed be stripped just like a standard 1911. For folks new to STI's, watching you tube videos can be confusing with references to bent paper clips, tool-less guide rods, etc.

14 hours ago, alleycat said:

For those who might refer to this post in the future, the DVC 3 Gun can indeed be stripped just like a standard 1911. For folks new to STI's, watching you tube videos can be confusing with references to bent paper clips, tool-less guide rods, etc.

It's a tool less guide rod wtf are u taking about. The post above you sums it up nicely. It may come apart like a regular 1911 but why not use the features built into the $2700 gun you just bought. Use it like it's meant to be used. 

I found that with new STIs, oil it well first, then  shoot about 500 rounds thru it, with intermittent oiling. The powder and oil combo will slick the gun and help with Breaking in the pistol. Then take it apart, and clean. Just my $.002.