Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone use the single tool head?

Does anyone use the single aftermarket tool head for rifle rounds like .223?  I love my Dillon 650 and use it for 5 pistol calibers.  I don't have 100% luck with .223 or 308.  It works but at times it's a battle and have to go real slow.  My question is should I get the single tool head or should I get like an RCBS (I think they call it a rock chucker).  Thanks

Everyone needs a single stage and nothing wrong with a Rockchucker (I have one) but if you are shooting volumes of 223 it will take a really long time on a single stage. I am sure others will chime in on 550 for rifle but that might be the way to go if you can swing the $. In fact, I keep my 650 set for high volume loading (9 or 45) and am just finishing setting up a 550C for other stuff including 223.  Nice unit and way more simple than the 650. I do not anticipate problems with 223 but like I say others will likely chime in.

I use a Rockchucker for .223 sizing and depriming.  Then do all the other case prep stuff with a cordless drill.  If I have a little spare time, I'll run through a couple handfuls of brass.  I keep at least a thousand pieces on hand.

Then for the good stuff.  I'm quite happy using a 550 for the loading.

I'm not a high volume .223 shooter and 90% of my rifle reloads are the heavy (77gr) stuff for long distance.

In my case, a Rockchucker/550 setup does everything I need to do with a minimum hassle.

I have a rock chucker but found I can do all my rifle on my 550 in a two stage process. I'm not a big volume loader. With .223 I First deprime and size, if they are dirty I tumble first, then off to the tumbler. They next go thru the lyman trimmer and case prep station. Back to the 550 for powder, bullet and crimp. For my bigger rifle, I powder by hand (because I don't have the powder setup for .308, 30/06, 8mm mauser) yet. Lotsa Zen time :D

I started out using my 550 like a turret press on rifle ammo, sizing/depriming. Then detail/clean the brass, the hand prime and charge, Then seat and crimp on the 550.

Now I do all that on my T-7, the 550 is for only 6.8 and 45. 9mm and 223 is run on my 650 except my long range 223 which I load on the T-7.

If you what a single stage, get a turret press instead, that way your dies are always set up.

I use the Uniqutek single hole clamped toolhead for my 22-250 on my 650.  With it my finished rounds are within plus or minus .002 from ogive to base.  Without it using the Dillion toolhead I had varience of up to .005 up or down.  I use the Redding comp bullet seater with micrometer.  With my Rem 700 and Lilja Brrel I usually shoot 1/2 groups at 100 yds using 5 shots and on a good day 3/8 or less.  I have shot 5 shot groups of 1/4 inch.  This toolhead is the best money ever spent for making consistant loads.

I have a 550B and a CO-AX. I do use the single stage conversion tool head on my 550B. The reason is cast bullet sizing. Bullet sizing with push thru sizers can't be done on the CO-AX. I tried to size bullets with a spare 4 hole tool head but noticed a small concentricity error occurring. The single stage tool head eliminated this out of roundness error.  I've never used that single stage tool head for any other purpose.

The only bottlenecked rounds I do load on the 550 are 7.62x39 and 223R because of the volume required. Never found any reason that they weren't as good as those loaded on my CO-AX. 

Mike what kind of Problems are you having loading 223 / 308 on your "" 650"" ?  I just did 500 pc of 223 with only problem being some  range pickup brass needing more  pimer pocket swage .  I load 223, 308,3006,243,300bk,38/357,44spl,40sw,45acp on my 650 and 221fb,303brit ,762x54r 762x39 on a lyman Spar T turret .  

I've got the snap out of the thing by putting in the plastic ball and adding the funny washer.  Still the thing still makes the shells wobble a bit dropping from the case feeder and sometimes it's just enough the toolhead gets caught.  My bench is very heavy and attached to the wall as well.